Mint Army General's Breast Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mint Army General's Breast Eagle

I wanted to share this recent pickup from my good friend Robert Kondor. This was part of his now famous "tailor shop find." It is truly the finest quality and construction hand-embroidered Army eagle I've owned.

Best,
    John
    Attached Files

Wonderful quality. I ogled over the insignia at the Max Show.

Comment

Now that is a nice eagle. Well done

Comment

Gorgeous!!!

-Jeremy

Comment

Amazing embroidery and workmanship. What is the true color of the backing cloth?. The photo make it look black.

Juan

Comment

Thank you for the compliments.

Juan S., I agree that it does look black in the photo and that's my fault. I'm not the best photographer. In person, it's easier to see the wool is dark green,

Best,
            John

Comment

I dont know much about these but its a real beauty!

Congrats

JC

Comment

What a stunning eagle, one of the best I have ever seen....

Bob

Comment

That is a beautiful eagle! Wow!

matt

Comment

I do not want to dampen the enthusiasm here but I associate the backing paper and the way it is glued on that Generals eagle with made in Pakistan.

Have a look at this thread, post number 9 to see what I mean;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...+bullion+eagle

I am sure there are probably good eagles with that backing. However you need to be very clear on the differences because made in Pakistan has improved remarkably what they are making out bullion in the last 15 years and how detailed it has become,

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Those eagles are a very poor comparison. But thank you for trying.

Not to worry, your opinion does not dampen my enthusiasm one bit.

Best Regards,
                      John

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                        I do not want to dampen the enthusiasm here but I associate the backing paper and the way it is glued on that Generals eagle with made in Pakistan.

Have a look at this thread, post number 9 to see what I mean;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...+bullion+eagle

I am sure there are probably good eagles with that backing. However you need to be very clear on the differences because made in Pakistan has improved remarkably what they are making out bullion in the last 15 years and how detailed it has become,

Chris
                        Chris,

these birds look nothing alike. Im not saying that Pakistani bullion hasn't gotten better but those eagles and the backing are still miles apart from this example. Matt

Comment

Originally posted by afrikasandman View Post
                          Chris,

these birds look nothing alike. Im not saying that Pakistani bullion hasn't gotten better but those eagles and the backing are still miles apart from this example. Matt
                          Hello Matt,

I am not trying to say that the birds look the same. The bird in the link I provided is from the 1970's. The Pakistan fakers have come a long way since then with the guidance of some very knowledgeable individuals.

I simply grabed that link because it was the fastest thing I could find that showed the type of backing in post number 9 of the link which is an absolute red flag.

Recently a collector here showed me the latest efforts in bullion eagles from Pakistan and Japan. He had bought them from source producers very cheap for future reference. The KM officer breast eagles were absolutely stunning and I was hard pressed to tell if reproduction or mint unissued from WW2.

However, he showed me the red flags are the way the backing is done, the type of paper used on the back and the shades/ tones of gold bullion thread used.

The Generals eagle/ KM Coastal Artillery eagle that started this thread based on what is reported, is from a shop find. I have no problem with that. But in today's world of the super fake, I would be documenting the provenance very carefully and having it witnessed. Plus I would make a study of the differences between a new generation Pakistani fakes and the real deal to reassure a future buyer. Collectors today who pay good money buy items not stories.

All I can repeat, when I see the backing paper on a bullion breast eagle done like that, the hair stands up on my neck and says beware Pakistani bullion embroiders are at work.

Sorry to be a Grinch stealing Christmas spirit but on this I am very cautious, and it is a study for WAF that is long overdue,

Chris
                          Last edited by 90th Light; 12-16-2016, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Chris,

You seem to be quite the guru on Pakistani made cloth insignia. I have to apologize, I don't know the first thing about items coming from Pakistan.

I have only spent the last 20+ years studying original hand-embroidered German Army eagles.

With Respect,
                            John

Comment

Generals Insignia

I saw the insignia grouping he had at the MAX and all that stuff was gorgeous. You should have gotten the generals tabs he had as well out of the same find if he still has them. That would have made a great set!! Alex

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X