Help to Decipher a Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help to Decipher a Name

I would appreciate any help with deciphering this soldier's name.

Might be overkill, but I attached six photos of different brightness and contrast with the hope this will make the name easier to identify.

This tag is in a beautiful waffenrock of the 37th Infantry Regiment.

Thank you

Mark
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Last pics. Thanks again.
      Attached Files

Comment

The name is Kühne? the last "word" I believe is possibly the rank- maybe feldw abbreviated for Feldwebel. There are many officers with that surname but no officers with that name listed in the 1939 Ranklist for IR 37. What rank is on the tunic?
        Last edited by Johnny R; 10-17-2016, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Indeed, it says: "Kühne, feldw." So it seems that he only wrote down his surname and rank (sergeant).

Comment

Thank you gentlemen! Very much appreciated.

Johnny, the rank is Oberfeldwebel. I will post pics of the tunic this weekend.

This tunic has a June 1936 date, so it is entirely possible he made it to the officer ranks before the war started. But identifying the right Kuhne might be impossible.

Mark

Comment

If he was an NCO and was commissioned he most likely would have been a reserve officer so hard to research and not found in active officer lists. Are there loops on it for many awards or only a few? With few, it often means they were commissioned and put the jacket away or more often were killed/badly wounded and out of service early in the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                If he was an NCO and was commissioned he most likely would have been a reserve officer so hard to research and not found in active officer lists. Are there loops on it for many awards or only a few? With few, it often means they were commissioned and put the jacket away or more often were killed/badly wounded and out of service early in the war.
                Johnny - There are two sets of badge loops and three loops for a medal or ribbon bar. The medal/ribbon bar loops are spaced for two or three awards.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X