1944-dated Officer's Field Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1944-dated Officer's Field Tunic

This tunic was tucked away on the end of a thread about a Veterinary officer's field tunic of mine (http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=865583). I was interested in getting some opinions, particularly regarding the insignia that seems to have been stitched to the right upper sleeve at some point.

The shield-shaped item was about 7cm high, 5cm across and was placed 14cm below the seam at the shoulder. I've had this for about 16 years and had never noticed the holes from the stitching or the impression of the item until I photographed the tunic a couple of weeks back.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Michael
    Attached Files

More of the tunic's details.
    Attached Files

Comment

More.
      Attached Files

Comment

The inside.
        Attached Files

Comment

More detail.
          Attached Files

Comment

The attachment of the epaulettes.
            Attached Files

Comment

My first impression is that it was a stripped officer upgraded EM tunic that has been restored after the war (at least certainly the eagle) probably with award loops added. It had a campaign shield and CT at some point but it is hard to know when the insignia were on there and if they were applied wartime or to "dress up" the tunic after the War by a collector etc. I may be wrong but that is what I would guess based on these images.

Comment

Thanks Johnny R. The odd thing is that the shield stitching is on the right sleeve, not the left. So it could be a botched upgrade of a tunic, but the traces suggest that whatever was there had been in place for a while.

The eagle has definitely been crudely applied, as have the epaulettes.

Cheers,
                Michael

Comment

From the photos it looks like the base jacket was manufactures using Italian gabardine.

Juan

Comment

If it is a shield shaped outline on the upper right sleeve it could be a traditions badge or a foreign volunteers patch? Steve

Comment

Originally posted by airborne_steve View Post
                      If it is a shield shaped outline on the upper right sleeve it could be a traditions badge or a foreign volunteers patch? Steve
                      That was my thought too, but I didn't want to jump to that conclusion too hastily!

Thanks,
                      Michael

Comment

I am sorry, I thought it was on the left sleeve, it looks like a Campaign shield outline. On the right as noted that would be Foreign volunteer or traditions. With that and then with a CT, to me this is making it more and more likely it has probably had things added to it after the War. That is just my opinion, I am sure others will think it can all be original with the sleeve patch and CT removed etc.

Comment

Thanks Juan, Johnny and Steve.

Having the tunic in hand, I'm happy with the loops but completely agree that the eagle and epaulettes are obvious replacements. These aside, it appears an almost unused late-war officer's field conversion. The ribbon bar loops suggest a soldier with fairly lengthy service.

However is there anything about the configuration that rules out the possibility of a legitimate CT and volunteers shield combination?

Further opinions welcomed!

Michael

Comment

Could be a Baltic foreign officer? Perhaps an Estonian Heer Battalion-Self Defence force (Border Guard) officer,who was awarded the Kurland cuff title.
                            No doubt many Estonians retreated into Latvia and became trapped in the Courland pocket and earned this award. (full length example)
                            Most Latvians (Courland is in Latvia) on the other hand served in Polizei battalions or W-SS (2 Divisions), not Heer...

Of course could also have been played with after the war...Who knows?

Photo comments:
                            Note SS officer with Heer enlisted buckle (center)
                            Heer officer with Estonian shield and enlisted collar litzen and SS cap, skull visible! (left)
                            Heer officer with SS officer's piped M43 cap with SS insignia! (right)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by NickG; 07-18-2016, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks Nick. The "who knows" aspect to this is why I'm not looking to refurbish the tunic - I like it as it is. Great photo - let's not overlook the pristine 6x30 binoculars!

Michael

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X