No announcement yet.

general pant for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The piping is sewn onto one side of the ankle closure which is unusual but may just be another way of doing piping. The two I have handy and could look at have the piping ending at the top of the inverted "V" for the foot opening.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
      Actually it is very easy to add lampassen if you know what you are doing, just not easy to do it and make it appear with actual wear etc. Most "fake" Generals pants are original period trousers and breeches but with recent "upgrades".

The thread matching idea is helpful but probably 70% of the period pants and breeches will be upgraded from pants worn as Oberst and lower ranks without piping.
      Are we talking about period or recently upgraded breeches , or of Tailor directly made general's breeches ?
      Of course , breeches , jackets,coats were upgraded period but these breeches IMO were directly made like this ...not upgraded !
      Nick

Comment

In the beginning with the first pictures I was talking about pants that are "upgraded" after the war by adding lampassen and the center piping. I agree that these have not been upgraded based on the way they are made in the foot seam shown in the later photos.

That said, a tailor can do this after the war very easily just like they did during the War. In the 1980s, they still had all the original cloth and piping fabrics and were making new pants (and tunics) exactly like originals, in fact, some of the people who were making tailor made clothing during the war, started making it again in the 1980s at the request of people selling these items as original. I was living in Germany at this time and saw it firsthand and several times a year I see these tunics being sold as 100% untouched original items by dealers who honestly believe that they are wartime items. They are not.

The only difference now after 30 years are the name tags that were made in the 1980s and knowing some of the fabrics they used more than others. They all really need to be looked at very carefully in hand. The one thing that is very difficult to fake is real wear caused by someone actual wearing the items.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
        X