My first 2 German uniforms (circa 1979)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first 2 German uniforms (circa 1979)

I started with just some helmets (and soft covers) and of course had a small budget as a teenager around '78 but this stuff was still relatively affordable, so I eventually purchased 2 uniforms which kicked off my serious collecting habit.
    No real knowledge but most of this stuff back in those days was real, but hard to find...no internet of course. This was in Brussels Belgium where we lived because of my dad's job so I went through high School in Brussels.
    Amazing times and the flea markets were good sources in those days.

First up a nice NCO tunic which was tailored in that mottled Polizei cloth (same as LW para jump smock material) It had a nice M36 bottle green collar and red piped farbes.
    Hand stitched button holes, company tailor made...
    The DAK pith helmet is of course not a good match for such a summer tunic but in those days I was pretty clueless...Note Auer red lensed goggles (used on Uboots)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 06-09-2016, 01:26 PM.

Than of course I needed some gear to dress it up! The buckle is LW of course but as a 16 year old that was fine...it had a nice eagle on it!
    The luger is real (1916 dated) but in relic condition...The toggle still worked...bad bore...These are polaroids btw so that tells you how long ago this was!
    Attached Files

Comment

My 2nd acquisition is an odd one. It's more or less a stock M36 combat tunic with the bottle green einheitz litzen factory stitched on. It came without any shoulderboards
      so I was clueless about the rank but here's the weird thing: it had what appeared to be factory tailored French cuffs...At least that's what I believed at the time...
      no signs of alterations...

Perhaps it was an officer used tunic and the officer collar tabs were hand stitched on, OVER the enlisted litzen, but later removed? The breast eagle is an enlisted type...
      that remained on the tunic...so not a full officer upgrade. The buttons did lack field gray paint...
      At the time I thought because of the GJ oval that the French cuffs were just an added feature for warmth for mountain troops...I really had no idea at the time
      and lacked good reference books.

All this (and much more) was later sold to Jan Winters of Donderbus - Rotterdam around 1984 when by college debt (struggling student) forced me to sell my collection
      which by that time (mid '80's) was much bigger, everything going to Winters.
      Does anybody recognize these 2 tunics? The first one might not have the tresse in place any longer...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NickG; 06-09-2016, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Oh those were the days!

Comment

I remember buying an M-36 tunic in an antique shop about that time for 75 dollars and there was an overseas hat and five shoulder boards in the pocket.

Comment

Fascinating pictures Nick, thanks for showing!

At some point I will dig out some pictures I took in the late 70's of my school-friends being used as living mannequins (!) for my collection, at that time all Heer related (early M36 Art Obergefreiter, M43 Reconn Oberschutze, 2 x Officer's tunics etc). The (minty) M43 Oberscutze with Reconn straps (if I recall correctly) is one I really miss, bought for £28. I miss those days and those prices....

Comment

Found 2 more in the old show box! As a teenager around 1980 !
              Now dressed up as a LW trooper. The fliegerblouse never had collar tabs attached but was in used condition.
              Of course back than I did not know anything about Feld Division troops. The Unteroffizier shouderstraps are pioneer/engineer black piped!
              The pants are old gray trousers from my dad and the zippered boots are civilian snow boots which my dad used in Wash.DC!
              The Army (Heer) jump badge is fake and the other badge related to Italian tankers...Just through it all together because it looked cool.
              Uniform, gear and M43 cap are real of course and bought and 1979 prices so under $200 total.
              Attached Files

Comment

and since my face was censored here's 2 more unmarked images from around 1991 in California, showing me in my late 20's with flight gear
                which I accumulated later on! (everything is original accept for the Knights Cross). Can anybody guess the plane?
                Attached Files

Comment

I wish I was a collector in those days
                  http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Comment

I started early so accumulated a lot...too much if you ask my wife!
                    Any guesses on the plane? (Some more old pictures! The flight jacket does not fit me any longer...)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by NickG; 06-11-2016, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                      I
                      Any guesses on the plane? (
                      Me 109 would be my guess.
                      derka

Comment

Originally posted by nickg View Post
                        i started early so accumulated a lot...too much if you ask my wife!
                        Any guesses on the plane? (some more old pictures! The flight jacket does not fit me any longer...)
                        me262?!

Comment

No, after checking, probably not a 109.
                          A bigger plane, as you have to climb with a hidden step to access the cockpit, wich is not the case for a 109 i think.
                          It appears the canopy opening is on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by Lutfen View Post
                            me262?!
                            Yes a Schwalbe!!! (Swallow)
                            Attached Files

Comment

2 more from the old shoe box! Early days of collecting...I was still in my twenties....
                              The 262 was still in Chino, later went to WA! The hangars btw is an original American WW2 hangar.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by NickG; 06-11-2016, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X