Insignia 227

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insignia 227

Hi .... not my area : what can these numbers tell us ?
    Would C.W. stand for Carl Wild ?

Douglas
    Attached Files

2 more pictures : 1938 on it .

Douglas
    Attached Files

Comment

"227"

It is actually an Gothic "M" cypher. If used with the #1; it would stand for Machine Gewehr Bataillon 1. Here is a unit history:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...Gliederung.htm

Being white metal, the insignia would be for an NCO from Feldwebel to Stabsfeldwebel.

Comment

Ok ... I thought it was some strange number I could not find .
        Is the CW that Hamburg maker ?

Thanks Douglas

Comment

Is this something not found often ?

Douglas

Comment

Hat Insignia

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
            Ok ... I thought it was some strange number I could not find .
            Is the CW that Hamburg maker ?

Thanks Douglas

I am not sure about the hat insignia. I would assume that to be the maker and year. As to the name of the maker, I do not know.

Comment

Firma Wild

If you look through this link there is a picture of a stamp press from the firm of Wild.

http://werkkreis-literatur.de/de/ges...eum-der-arbeit

I would assume, like Gustav Brehmer, they made all sorts of different insignia.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes thanks ... I have some pictures of that press - " Dicke Berta "... different ones from 2 floor the museum .

Douglas
                Attached Files

Comment

CW could be for Clemens Wagner although I wasn't aware they made hat insignia as well as the hats themselves.
                  Attached Files

Comment

It is Clemens Wagner of Hamburg/ Braunschweig one if the most prolific of German cap makers during the War. CW made tropenhelms for all branches as well as sidecaps, M40's and most notably visors.
                    Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 05-20-2016, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Clemens Wagner may have made all kinds of hats and caps ... but they are not in any lists for insignia that I have ?

The only ones showing in all my lists are :
                      M1/38 - Carl Wächtler
                      M1/93 - Carl Wild
                      (M5/221 - Carl Winkler)

The use of dots after each initial may have been a way to separate the first 2 makers .
                      The number 38 is - not - part of the M1 number - but seams to be design or production year .
                      Numbers between 36 to 40 can be found .

Douglas

Comment

Have seen numerous eagles for the tropenhelm stamped CW & a year usually 39 or 40. Especially for the early KM piths. Also on some shields for the tropenhelms. Some of us tropical collectors thought they are from CW, but perhaps your research could lead to a different maker ?

Comment

Tim - I did a comparison to show that the 2 marks are quit different .
                          Font and style are not the same and the dots after the C and W are to me deliberate to separate the 2 makers .
                          Who is who ? Well can only guess : CW is Carl Wild and C.W. is Carl Wächtler .

Douglas
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Doug, another one of my theories gets corrected, great stuff

The version without the periods is the type I've seen much more often.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                            X