Construction/Pioneer shoulder board symbol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Construction/Pioneer shoulder board symbol

Would like to know any information about shoulder board symbols comprised of gold crossed spade and pick. NOT collar tab type. these are shorter and wider angle.

It does not sound like any Heer device I am familiar with.

Comment

Pg. 390, Uniforms and Traditions, Angolia

Comment

insig

I read what you are referencing and think this is a theoretical but not particularly or little utilized insignia. The numerous variations with a "cogwheel" reference on p. 388 fall in the same category of possible but not likely used insignia combinations.

Comment

The Heer used this device for several different types of pioneer units including cadre in POW construction battalions. It is very uncommon if it is Heer, the device also was used by other organizations I believe. Tom and Dave's book as a more detailed description on page 201.

http://www.amazon.com/German-Shoulde.../dp/0764340379

If you can post a photo it would be great to see it

Comment

Are these it?
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

These aren't built like any other German insignia that I know of.

Fred

Comment

The ones for Army boards I suspect would be stamped metal.

Comment

See also the illustration of a shoulder strap slide with the same device on page 358, VOL. 1 Uniforms and Traditions, Angolia. and description of same insignia on page 384. Unusual that three references are made to an insignia that was not used. Stamped metal with soldered pins seems to be the norm for shoulder board/strap auflage even though a particular insignia is not familiar to collectors.
                  Last edited by Tom Pearcy; 03-17-2016, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Hello Tom;
                    I'm not sure what your devices are, but I doubt if they're III Reich.
                    Construction is not typical of the period.

I can confirm that the German Army DID use a pick & shovel device,
                    as shown below; It's the first one I've ever seen!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Another device I am unfamiliar with.

Comment

That is the first one I have ever seen too. Interesting it is in green.

Comment

I'm not sure which unit this slip-on would indicate; the sub units of the 15th Pz. Gren. Div. were usually numbered 33 or 115. The 15th Pz. Gren. Rgt. (29th Pz. Gren. Div.) typically had simply a 15.

Comment

I was trying to figure that out too. I almost wonder if it was a construction unit assigned to the Division at HQ level for 15th PGD.

Comment

I hate to keep beating a dead horse but since everyone is convinced it is not, then someone has to know what it is. I did not get any specific "because". It cannot be the construction of the device as I have seen wire pins soldered on cyphers in this manner.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X