Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd pattern tropical tunic with early shoulder boards

Hi guys,

I bought this picture thinking the soldier was wearning a M44 and it's only after receiving it that I realised it is a 3rd pattern tropical tunic.

Therefore I've a couple a questions coming to my mind:
    - Is it possible to differentiate tropical collar tabs from late war ones on black and white pictures?
    - How common is it to see soldiers wearing early dark green shoulder straps with tropical tunics?
    - Last one: what do you see on the shoulder straps ? I see a "1" but I'm not sure about the letter above...

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

Max

Excellent studio image of a very crisp 3rd pattern.
    The mix of continental straps or boards (very different things) is very common on tropical tunics, due to many factors - supply, demand, vanity...
    Not so common, but seen, was continental uniforms with tropical straps...
    So, to answer your questions -
    1 - Yes, I believe so, depending on image quality.
    2 - Quite common
    3 - Will leave that to people with younger eyes than mine!
    Regards,
    Mark
    NZ
    Attached Files

Comment

I see an "S" gothic style (Schule).

Comment

Thanks for your answers guys !

Comment

Interesting that he is wearing a continental Schutzen Rgt 1 board.... Early board with a mid war tunic, just a different combo. Matt

Comment

Balkans

Originally posted by afrikasandman View Post
            Interesting that he is wearing a continental Schutzen Rgt 1 board.... Early board with a mid war tunic, just a different combo. Matt

I wonder if this is from the period of the 1. Panzer Division's posting to the Balkans and Greece in June 1943? If I remember correctly, Mike Pruett said that even after being designated Panzergrenadier Rgt. 1, they continued to use Rosa Waffenfarbe.
            Last edited by Schulterklappen; 12-14-2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Nice photos, thanks for posting. Here is another shot of a third pattern Heer tropical blouse worn with dark green straps.
              Attached Files

Comment

It is not really unusual to see continental M-36 straps worn with tropical tunics, though it doesn't appear too often in photos from N. Afrika (it suggests Italian Front to me). Here are several studio shots with M-36 straps being worn on first pattern tunics even though the collars have the appropriate tress:
                Attached Files

Comment

Every time I see these combinations, it makes me think about this movie!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                    Every time I see these combinations, it makes me think about this movie!
                    Remember as well. Probably original tunic, as few other (even parkas) used in this movie/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X