Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonderverband cap badge

Hi Guys

this example came in with some other stuff, anyone seen one like this previously? Is it possibly ok or veteran's piece maybe?

many thanks

Patrick
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

There is a thread about these! I have no idea where but there is some discussion.

Fred

Comment

Hi Patrick

These are most likely a unit souvenir not really designed to be worn on the tunic according to a DAK veteran source. So far there is no photographic evidence of these being worn on tunics. (except iv'e heard there is at least one photo that does show a member of SV288 wearing this type of badge ?). I've been stung by these before so will not comment on this example except to say that i would need provenance. However i am aware that Dal McGuirk believe's the following, sourced from a private letter that i have seen....

"1. These badges are definitely original wartime pieces associated with SV288 in Africa, dating from the middle of 1942, and were made in a variety of unique styles.

2. These badges are pretty much like cast bronze badges I have seen bought by Australian and NZ soldiers in Egypt, such as examples of the LRGD badge and Australian and NZ cap or collar badges.

3. The SV288 badges were most probably made by Arab artisans in Egypt, in the Summer of 1942, very likely in Mersa Matruh which was the largest Arab town in the rear of the El Aamein line and closest to where SV288 was being held in reserve.

4. The badges were not made specifically for wear on the tunic, in spite of the pin back style, rather something bought by the German soldiers of SV288 as unit souvenir pieces. However photo evidence indicates a small number of SV288 soldiers did wear the badge, on their tunic.

5 The badges were not worn on the field cap, for reasons I have suggested, being far too heavy with the pin likely to rip holes in the cotton cloth of the cap.
        "

It is always a priveledge to hear From Dal on any matter pertaining to the DAK

with appreciation
        Tim

p/s here is the link Fred refers too, though the cast threadstarter in this link looks alot worse off than Patrick's example.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=SV288
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 11-17-2015, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Hi Tim

Here is a picture of one being worn on a tunic. This is the only one I know of-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...13638&page=226

About 9 months ago I saw a photo on ebay of a DAK soldier with one being worn on a sidecap. If I remember correctly it was a studio photo taken at a angle but it was clearly visible. I can kick myself now for not bidding on it as I forgot and it went for a song.

Barry

Comment

thanks for the comments Guys, seems that there is very little known about these metal badges. The other one shown seems extremely crude, and appears cast from another badge that had the pin removed- you can see the traces of solder cast in. I am aware that Morigi is faking these and they look like that other example but with pin attachment.

I found another like mine shown on an AK collectors forum and the owner states he picked it up at a German flea market in 1977 which makes me feel that it may be a wartime example- at least it's not a recent copy.

http://afrikakorps.forumcrea.com/viewtopic.php?id=1657

Comment

Hi Barry

Thanks for finding that photo, knew i had seen one somewhere just could not remember for sure where. Yes that is the photo i was referring too.

& Patrick that is interesting link to another badge like yours...

Lets see if anyone else has any more info on these badges ?

thanks
              Tim

Comment

There was one that sold a couple of years ago on the WAF that I felt was likely an original. Real ones would require some solid provenance. Matt

Comment

New Zealand soldiers definitely brought them back from Afrika.

This has been documented by more than one collector with these being amongst veteran Afrika lots picked up in the 1970's & 80's, even earlier. Several of these collectors still have the badges or know where they went,

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X