When did Sumpftarn appear at the front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When did Sumpftarn appear at the front?

Can someone tell me when Sumpftarn jackets first appeared at the front? I've been looking for an answer on the internet but I couldn't find anything.

Were these around in autumn '43?

Don't tell me that not a single person on this board knows the answer?

Comment

Simply write sumpftarn in searching engine here on WAF and you will find your answer.

Comment

Off course I've tried that. Various topics of people who are looking for a parka, checking of their's is real, etc. But that's not what I'm looking for.

Comment

i
          Last edited by Paul Walmsley; 11-08-2015, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Im assuming you mean the summer hooded type? (not the winter padded type.)
            Not sure that's known - I would say some time in 1943. (Given that sumpftarn 43 is assumed to be designed in 1943)
            I would say fall 1943 is a good guess- given inevitable delay between design and production and distribution. There is a hoodless smock with 1943 dates shown in Palinckx book with the early style ("pattern 43") sumpf.

What is also interesting is when Splittertarn (hoodless summer) smocks were first issued - I think they are of first seen in any number in photos from summer 1943, at Kursk. (Grossdeutschland Pz Grenadiers in particular- where they may have been field-testers of the new equipment)
            (a French "Histoire" book puts it as early as fall 1941.)

Werner Palinckx book doesn't give a date for the splitter smocks.

Winter Padded reversible Jackets: Palinckx dates splitter winter camo as late 1942- early 1943. The sumpf winter smocks were later and- as they were made initially in sumpf 43- were probably available at the front- in small numbers in late 43/early 44
            Last edited by Paul Walmsley; 11-08-2015, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your extensive answer! I mean Sumpftarn in general and more specifically the parka (as I own a non-reversible, hooded, padded one).

But apparently it's not very clear when these appeared exactly, as you cited different authors with different dates.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X