BD Publishing

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panzer NCO shoulder strap & Oberschutz patch souvenirs - Opinions Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer NCO shoulder strap & Oberschutz patch souvenirs - Opinions Please!

Hi All,

I am interested in the two items of Wehrmacht insignia shown below. I am, perhaps wisely, suspicious of anything and everything when it comes to German insignia (my main collecting area is WW1 German) and I have steered clear from most German WW2 non-relic items in the past. However, perhaps with getting older and remembering how I watched things like Kelly's Heroes as a child and salivated over the uniforms, I have decided that I'd really like a few choice pieces of WW2 Hun insignia to hang on the wall and admire.

The items below were both part of a large lot of insignia that was supposedly brought home at the end of the war by a British officer. They had subsequently been stored poorly and most of the collection showed extensive wear, dust and moth damage. Some of the items were pretty much falling apart so I am inclined to believe the story.

I understand the items below to be a Panzer NCO's shoulder strap for the wrap tunic (?) and an Oberschutze rank patch. Both show dust and moth damage and appear to be genuine to me.

I would really appreciate it if you experts out there could cast your critical eyes over these and let me your thoughts. I wondered whether the 'Panzer' strap could be a badly faded artillery strap?

Apologies for the rambling introduction. Why use ten words when ten thousand will do...

Thanks in advance and best wishes,

Simon

Both are original (pink piping),IMO

Glenn
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Yes, both look original....but the strap wouldn't be worn on the panzer wrap but rather on the fieldgrey service tunic...IMHO.

Carles

Comment

I agree; both original pieces.
        The "Oberschutze" patch patch is the reed green HBT type worn on the fatigue tunic and also the Sturmgeschutze HBT wrapper.
        The pink piped "Unteroffizier" strap is a M40, with rayon piping and
        "Waffle" tresse, usually worn prewar by Reichswehr and by the Luftwaffe
        from prewar to the end of the war.
        As mentioned, the pink piping on your strap probably indicates use by
        "Panzerjaeger" (or other units in a Panzer division). Personnel in tanks and
        certain other armored vehicles would normally wear black straps with pink piping.
        As a serious shoulder strap collector, I hpe that this strap will lead you to continuing collecting others!
        If you're interested, Email directly at zoods@aol.com and I will show you
        some photos and provide information about collecting shoulder straps.
        Chris Varrichio
        longislandercjv
        zoods@aol.com

Comment

Gentlemen, many thanks for your prompt responses - needless to say your thoughts come as welcome news!

Chris, I was interested by your comments on the 'waffle' tresse on the board. I had tried to find similar examples of a field grey Panzer board like this but couldn't find any; all seemed to have the 'diamond' pattern on the tresse. As you say, most luftwaffe boards I came across had the waffle tresse. Is it unusual for a Panzer board to have the waffle tresse?

I have numerous WW1 German shoulder straps which I have collected over the years. I randomly bought them and subsequently discovered I had quite a few rare examples. Chip Minx, who is a forum member and leading authority on German Great War straps confirmed all are original. It would be great to buy a few more German WW2 straps - I'm just a little paranoid about anything WW2 German!

My grandfather served in the RAF and brought a grouping of Kriegsmarine Coastal Artillery badges back from North Africa. Thanks to the family provenance, I have never had any doubts about those!

Best,

Simon

Comment

Heer use of the "waffle" pattern tresse on shoulder straps is found on both
            the Feldbluse, M36, & M40 examples.
            It was probably due to using what was available rather than what was "regulation", especially on such an insignificant matter!
            I have examples of M40 straps with the copper brown tresse used by the DAK!
            Email me directly and I'll send photos. zoods@aol.com.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X