Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Christmas Mug. Fantasy??

Hi guys,

I apologize for posting this here because I realize it is not a uniform or item of insignia but I didn't know where else to post it. Last week I picked up some pieces as part of a small collection from a friend. There were some repro items that were easy to spot but also some pieces that I am unsure of. Can you tell me if you have seen a mug like this before? My first thought is that it is some Reddick fantasy junk. I looked at every Thread here on WAF to do with mugs and couldn't find anything like it.

Is it real or something I can just use to hold pencils on my desk at work?

Thanks.

G
    Attached Files

Bottom
    Attached Files

Comment

Steins seem to be the flavor of the month.

You will find some good reading here about them and the "L" mark;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=822619

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris. I read your link but did not catch the significance of the L mark. Is there something about this style of L that says it's good or bad? I can say that 100% the paint work is hand done and not a decal or transfer. It looks like it was painted using a stencil. Does this make a difference? I can try to take a close up tomorrow if that would help.

Comment

I like it for a few reasons.

1. Not a SS unit or elite Army unit.
          2. Lack of extra markings on the bottom (RZM, waffenamt etc etc)
          3. Overall style.

As for being a stencil print, yes that would be correct, as done in the factory, IMO

Comment

Thank you for your comments guys

G

Comment

Is there anybody else willing to give an opinion on this - just for comfort sake

Comment

Originally posted by DCM View Post
                Is there anybody else willing to give an opinion on this - just for comfort sake

Send a PM or email to association member "Thälmannpionier" (Andreas) and ask him what he thinks about this stein especially the "L" marking.

He might even comment on this thread,

Chris

Comment

Here are a couple of originals and documented as such in a book even.....

I would be happy with your stein.
                  Attached Files

Comment

----------------------
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DCM View Post
                      Hi guys,

I apologize for posting this here because I realize it is not a uniform or item of insignia but I didn't know where else to post it. Last week I picked up some pieces as part of a small collection from a friend. There were some repro items that were easy to spot but also some pieces that I am unsure of. Can you tell me if you have seen a mug like this before? My first thought is that it is some Reddick fantasy junk. I looked at every Thread here on WAF to do with mugs and couldn't find anything like it.

Is it real or something I can just use to hold pencils on my desk at work?

Thanks.

G
                      Looks good, no extra "gotcha" marks or anything else to show anything but a nice Christmas remembrance unit beer mug - and German soldiers loved their beer like all armies did!

You probably knew this unit was part of the 29th Panzer Grenadier Division (mot) then renamed the 29th Mot. Div. known as the Falcon Division. Saw a lot of action in most all theaters cited 3 times for distinguished action.

Nice mug!!

Comment

Originally posted by nzef1940 View Post
                        Here are a couple of originals and documented as such in a book even.....

I would be happy with your stein.
                        NICE!! Great TOUR mug, would make a fantastic T-Shirt

Comment

Thank you again guys for keeping my post alive. I looked at the link again to the discussion about the SS stein. If I am reading it correctly is Thälmannpionier saying all original steins have a capital "L" mark on them?

Comment

I wonder if it's an original decal ? I like it too...nice stein. Don't be afraid to use it just be careful washing the insides out only ...and don't drop it .

Comment

Gary,

I think what T-pionier may be implying in his Thread is that original Krugs should have a capital "L".

If this is the case, I categorically disagree with him. I have handled numerous original Imperial, Reichsheer, and Wehrmacht commemorative Krugs, and just looked at a number for sale on different sites and there is no consistency in the marks. A lot depended on the particular style a specific pottery used.

I did some research on your potter's mark and it appears the mark is for the "Berlin" pottery (as opposed to Meissen, Vienna, Sevres, etc.). I saw a few that I would say are unquestionably original and they had the same small case "l".

There are ONLY two things that might cause me concern (and this is because we haven't seen a good pic yet) and they are 1) the lack of full paint on the Krug (you can see on your picture of the bottom that there is bare stoneware in the center, and, 2) the really brilliant appearance of the silver of the Heer Adler. Both of these could be non-issues, but a better picture of the eagle at an oblique angle may put my concern to rest.

All-in-all, I'm in agreement with those who have commented and my gut says you've got a really nice Krug, with a very desirable motif.

Post a pic if you can of the stenciling and eagle and we may be able to wrap this up for you.

BTW - love that Scheinwerfer Krug nzef

Looking forward to your reply and best regards!

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X