M42 jacket, modified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 jacket, modified

This jacket appears to be a modified M-42 pattern jacket.
    The original jacket was modified by the shortening of the skirt, and the lifting of the lower pockets.
    The person I got this from said the original owner was an artillery sergeant, but it can be seen there is no rank badges to support his suggestion. I have had this in my collection for many years assuming the person was mistaken. However, on a closer examination there is evidence of collar tress having been removed.
    Overall the jacket is in reasonable condition, with some holes and small tears, the medal loops show the most damage and the cloth backing of the 'Krim' shield is missing.
    Its a nice example of a jacket straight from the 18 year old British soldier who collected it from the original owner in 1944.

Last edited by grantsmil; 09-17-2015, 01:54 AM. Reason: spelling

I should point out the breast mounted medals came from the same person, but are not guaranteed to have been original to the tunic. The Iron Cross 1st class that was original to the jacket was lost almost immediately.

Comment

Breast eagle

The breast eagle

Comment

Comment

This would be an M41 jacket unless the pleats have been added to the pocket bags. Are there any markings inside the lining? Is the eagle sewn through the lining. I would not worry about the Sgt. thing. Vets often were not sure about what they had etc. Tunics from fallen and wounded soldiers were reissued after being reconditioned especially later in the war. Can you see where the rest of the Krim shield cloth backing had been sewn at the bottom or was it sewn on missing the bottom?

Comment

Sure looks like an M41 tunic to me, though additional photos of the lining would help. The Krim badge seems to have much more wear than the rest of the tunic? Added post war? Could have come off a previous tunic?

Steve

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,
              I agree with Johnny's comments. I like what I see so far, and I always like a good story from the war!
              Thank you,
              Curtiss

Comment

The cloth surrounding the shield is poor quality and worn, it has been there for a very long time.

The lower pockets (& flaps) have been sewn through the lining, the eagle has been sewn through the liner and the upper pockets have been sewn through the liner, but not the pocket flaps. The pleats are all decorative.

The original owner of this jacket was very much alive before and after it was liberated by the British soldier.

Any marks are long gone.

Comment

The way the eagle and collar taps sit on your tunic are natural to my eyes.

Comment

The underside of the collar, showing signs of removed tresse.

Also note the 'wave' pattern reinforcing stitching.

Comment

Just for completeness, I will include this:

When the British soldier (18 years and wet behind the ears) and his mates came across a group of Germans, apparently awaiting capture, shortly after D-Day, he held this German up at bayonet point.
                      He made several unsuccessful attempts to snatch the medals off this German prisoner. The German got annoyed and said, in English, "You want souvenirs? Here take f***ng souvenirs!'
                      With that he threw his hat down, pulled off the jacket - tossing it on the ground and pulled his trousers off (and maybe his boots too - I can't recall), then strode off in his underwear never to be seen again. Leaving a bunch of young British soldiers and German prisoners not quite knowing what to do.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X