Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusal Gabardine M44 shoulder boards

Hi guys,

Today I would like to discuss these Gabardine M44 boards.

All the materials used for the fabrication seem to be authentic but of course there is the question mark : that's the first time I see M44s with a 2-part reinforcement tape (doesn't make a lot of sense to me as the reinforcement is actually supposed to keep the board for breaking in the middle).

On top of that the stitching between the 2 parts of the board is not in zigzag but straight and the stitching on the round part of the board is not perfect (see pictures).

In the other hand I've never seen a fake M44 with this 2-part tape either. I know it doesn't prove anything and fakers are creative but it would also be less work to make it the "normal" one piece tape and to use only one type material for the tape (here the tape material is slightly different for the 2 boards)

I have a good feeling about those. What is your opinion?

Thanks !!

Best,

Max

Hi Max,

I like them. Since we're talking about some really hard boards to find, and in a design that uses late-war shortcuts and common materials, it would be hard to call these out as fake.

All the materials are good, and plausibly sewn. The double seam doesn't bother me as much as the fact they didn't serge stitch the edges on the tongues. If you examine the edges on an M43 cap or M44 tunic, the edges are usually stitched to keep them from unravelling. The base of the button hole stitch almost looks hand-done - is it?

Still, I like the way they look - but what do I know. Looks like a dealer site?

s/f Robert

Comment

Authentic pair. I`ve seen them at a gunshow here wish I picked them up of course the seller came back a month later telling me they sold at another show. Very nice find

Comment

I like them a lot, i think very rare as well!

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
          Hi Max,

The double seam doesn't bother me as much as the fact they didn't serge stitch the edges on the tongues. If you examine the edges on an M43 cap or M44 tunic, the edges are usually stitched to keep them from unravelling. The base of the button hole stitch almost looks hand-done - is it?

Still, I like the way they look - but what do I know. Looks like a dealer site?

s/f Robert

Thanks for your feedback !

I don't mind the edge not being stitched: they are not stitched on other M44s and the only other pair of Gabardine M44 boards that I have doesn't have stitched edges either.

The base of the button is most likely hand made I would say.

The 3 first pictures are from the dealer's site, the others are from me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Today.

Working...
          X