Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffenrock or Tunic?

Hi everyone

I just want to ask the serious collectors here, What is the difference between Waffenrock's and Tunics? I understand the Waffenrock's had those fancy looking sleeves and used as a dress uniform for marches but what is the difference?

Im sorry if this sounds like a silly question but I just would to know the difference in importance and which was worn more often?

cheers in the advance!

OK, The Waffenrock aka the Parade Dress Uniform was only worn for certain occassions. Remember Hitler reintroduced universal conscription or the draft and Soldiers were called up for 2 years of service and then were discharged and returned to civilian life. The requirement was that the had to wear the uniform at all times even on leave. For certain occassions they would wear the Parade Dress Uniform which included the belt, bayonet and other items. Angolia's Army Book has a chart for everything that had to be worn with that uniform. This requirement changed when the war starts and the wear of the Parade Dress Uniform is set aside for the duration of the war. The Waffenrock was still worn in rare occassions like a Wedding. But there were no more Parades. So there are millions of Waffenrocks sitting out the war in a store room on a Kaserne mostly waiting to be looted during occupation.
    During 1935-39 Soldiers had different grades of the service uniform and they wore these for field training and everything else. When the war starts Service uniforms are issued for mobilization and after a couple years of war become increasingly more difficult to produce. Most wartime Soldiers have one wool uniform which they are wearing for everything.
    Hope this answers your question. I would recommend buying some reference books where you can observe the changes via photos.
    Best Regards,
    Marion

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X