Tropical Cap Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tropical Cap Eagle

Hi guys, before i restore one of my caps i thought to confirm that this is an original eagle.
    Let me know what you think.
    Chris
    Attached Files
    sigpicLooking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Original cap eagle !
    Nick

Comment

Hi Chris,

That's an original tropical cap eagle and it will look great on your cap

D

Comment

Perhaps it would be better to use an eagle that has been removed from a cap.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
          Perhaps it would be better to use an eagle that has been removed from a cap.

Mark
          It is a nice unused trop eagle

However, I have to agree and extend what Mark is saying. Certain cap makers used certain type of eagles. It is always best to research the type of eagle that you seek for a restoration and apply it in a manner that is appropriate for a cap by that maker.

Thus which makers used the eagle that started this thread ? And which years was it used 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ?

Chris

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

It's a cap with not excessive wear therefore this unissued eagle will not make such a contrast as to look out of place.

Hermann Potthoff is not a common maker so i didn't manage to find other Heer example and compare insignia material, application etc
            Attached Files
            sigpicLooking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Comment

Hi 90th Light,

Please post some photos of these "certain types of cap eagles used by certain cap makers" because as far as I know there is one known variant tropical cap eagle used on very early Lago Berlin 1940 made caps. There are differences in colour and size on early cap eagles used in 1940 and 1941 and that is it as far as I know?

Then there are the later Rayon mix tropical cap eagles.

If you are talking about sewing methods used by various makers then I understand what you mean in your post?

The original makers method of stitching the insignia onto any restoration should be avoided, as years from now the cap could be considered to have all period original sewn insignia when it does not.

Best Regards,

Dermot

Comment

Do the type of comparisons shown in the images below between the different cap makers and you will find differences. Unless of course two different cap makers used a certain type of eagle by the the same cloth insignia manufacturer.

The next challenge is cap makers who used an eagles or cockades from a different cloth insignia manufacturer each year. i.e. 1940 verses 1942 or early 1941 verses late 1941,

Chris
                Attached Files

Comment

I would suggest you wait and get a used eagle and hand sew that on. Matt

Comment

90th Light,

Have you done an in depth study on the original six cap makers, if so maybe you could send me the results of your research via email, as I believe that would be very interesting. I have only found two 1940 made cap eagle variations and both were used on Lago Berlin 1940 made tropical peaked caps.

I can see how manufacturers variations could be important, if you found an early cap that needed restoring, but to be honest I prefer not to restore anything.

Most collectors can't afford the high prices for an untouched factory sewn early M40 tropical peaked cap, so they have to think about buying restoration projects.

D

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X