Thoughts on PG Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on PG Tunic

Was looking to purchase this tunic and wanted some second opinions. Any help is much appreciated. Looks ok to me.

Thanks!

Sean

http://www.aboutww2militaria.com/Feb2015/tunic2.html

I like it

Comment

My opinion is that the eagle has been replaced and possibly the collar tabs have been replaced as well.
      Overall it is a sharp looking uniform.
      The Eagle being removed was very common following the war for many reason.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, what makes you say the collar tabs have been replaced? I thought they looked a bit newer than the rest of the uniform. Is that your opinion as well?

Thank You

Comment

First, let me say that it is very hard to tell from a photo, so I could be wrong.
          The eagle shows signs of old threads, add to the fact that not many officers eagles were machine sewn on.
          The tabs do not appear to have the same wear as the tunic.
          The thread and sewing style of the tabs appear to be the same as with the eagle. It appears that was done by the same person at the same time.
          If the eagle was hand sewn on with a slightly different thread, the collar tabs would be more convincing.
          Just remember, this is just my opinion based on photos only, and I could be totally wrong.
          Overall, everything looks original to me, just resewn. The tunic displays very nicely.

Comment

Its and interesting tunic and my opinion is that the insignia are added to the tunic and may or may not be original to it. The eagle has clearly been hand sewn to another tunic before and the stitching is the same as the collar tabs which indicates they were put on at the same time (possibly period but just seems odd, likely postwar done) The collar tabs are clearly not as worn as the boards (easily added since they are slip ons) but the overall wear just doesn't jive.

The other thing that is odd to me is the bullion breast eagle on this jacket. Typically these were done with a flatwire eagle even if they were an officer. Light wight Heer summer tunics are a favorite of mine and I do try to give them a pretty good study. That said you do see bullion eagles but they are the oddity and not the norm. There is a good thread I started some time back showing off a few of these light weight summer jackets here: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=688996

should give you some great examples to study. That all said the jacket is a solid original just likely resewn and very expensive... Typically you should pay less than 1000 USD for a light weight Heer jacket that is untouched. So take that for what it is. If this were in my opinion I would be all over it as it tings on my favorite type of tunics and my favorite branch of the German Army (PzGrn). That all said its just an opinion. Matt

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X