smoke troops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoke troops

I'm looking for any info, literature, books etc on the German smoke troops. I found some info on their deploying of the smoke, wind conditions, topography etc. I'm looking for uniforms, insignia, actual unit etc... I'm familiar w the color waffen farb of the reddish/purple color, but that's about it, and t they were only used up until about 42 early.43?
    thanks so much, Doug

Almost all of the literature in this branch is in German aside from a small handful of books and manuals about the weapons published during the War. This is the only one that I know is still in print-

http://www.amazon.com/German-Rocket-...NCHERS+IN+WWII
    Last edited by Johnny R; 01-27-2015, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by merc15 View Post
      they were only used up until about 42 early.43?
      Because they were so effective and relatively economical, Nebelwerfer units were actually increased as the War progressed and were used until the final days.

Comment

I have a dumb question, weren't some Nebelwerfer units also chemical units as well? The Nebelwerfer units had the mission of protection and deployment of chemical weapons if necessary?

Steve

Comment

While Nebelwerfer units were essentially rocket artillery, there were several "Gas Schutz" (gas protection) schools which used the bordeaux Waffenfarbe.

Comment

Originally posted by airborne_steve View Post
            I have a dumb question, weren't some Nebelwerfer units also chemical units as well? The Nebelwerfer units had the mission of protection and deployment of chemical weapons if necessary?

Steve
            They had decontamination units and like conventional artillery all units with mortars and launchers had the ability to fire chemical rounds. As the War progressed most the large Decon units were eventually converted over to werfer (rocket artillery) units and chemical defense for the most part was left to Unit level and some specialized medical units.

Comment

Thanks guys! Cheers, Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X