Reiter Reg. 17 collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zum Wohl!

A round of Rauchbier for every viewer! On Robert's tab, of course!

Comment

always welcome

Comment

Some really great stuff! Never really find anything to that unit, the Afrikakorps cuff addition to the tunic is an interesting addition. Must have had if sewn on when he was on leave. Odd that it wasn’t folded over and then sewn on. Matt

Comment

My fathers brother was with the RR17, he was in south Italy and on the transfer to North Afrika. Shortly the plane departed the plane went down.

Comment

Originally posted by afrikasandman View Post
            Some really great stuff! Never really find anything to that unit, the Afrikakorps cuff addition to the tunic is an interesting addition. Must have had if sewn on when he was on leave. Odd that it wasn’t folded over and then sewn on. Matt
            I have a Waffenrock for a NCO in AR 33 that is the same with the CT applied haphazardly. The CTS were slapped on there while recovering from illness or wounds usually. Interestingly, they were allowed to wear the DAK tropical uniforms while in Germany but also put on the CTs on dress tunics. Almost no one that rank was granted leave from Africa unless sick or wounded or if awarded an RK etc.

Very nice items. I have a set for Hugo Freiherrn v.u.z. Aufsess from the 17. Very interesting unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert H View Post
              My fathers brother was with the RR17, he was in south Italy and on the transfer to North Afrika. Shortly the plane departed the plane went down.
              Very sad Robert,

I have a friend who collects NZ Pilot uniforms from the Battle of Britain/ Blitz period in memory of an uncle who answered the call to duty, trained in New Zealand and Canada. Sadly he was shot down and killed on his very first mission over the English Channel. Never even got as far as France. His family still mourn his loss, especially at this time of year when our nation remembers our military fallen.

Do you know which unit your uncle was flying to join in North Afrika ?

Chris

Comment

sadly not. Have photos of him in his 17 dress tunic, know his grave in Catania Italy have also photos from the grave ceremony with the flag covered coffins under Palm trees.
                Cannot find him in any Ehrenliste. Maybe he transfered to the AA unit... As I was born my dads wish was I get his name after him and so it was.

Chris, this is your Freiherr von Aufseß.
                All from nobilitiy Familys with high education and tradition.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Robert H; 04-25-2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert H View Post

Chris, this is your Freiherr von Aufseß.
                  All from nobilitiy Familys with high education and tradition.
                  Thanks Robert,

I think this very interesting addition that you added is for Johnny.

They are now sadly all gone but not forgotten. This is real history both family and beyond, the reason why I collect,

Chris

Comment

Thanks, that is from the unit memory book. I have his death card as well. I was contacted by a relative who had these. He is shown in this photo wearing the Visor cap and tunic I have. He continued to wear the insignia for KR 17 on it. I also have his overseas cap. He must have been promoted after he was killed as he is reported as an Oberst in the unit book but is one rank lower on his death card. This was done fairly often to increase pensions to families.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Robert, I always liked this unit. I have a restored tailored Afikakorp major tunic and breeches made in France. I believe it was made while they were sent there for rest and refit after tough losses in Russia and then sent to Tunisia in 1942. Thanks for sharing. TPK

Comment

KR 17 was disbanded before the War started in 1939. As a unit, they were never in Africa or Russia.

Comment

really? I was following Von Stauffenberg history and thought he was in that unit until wounded. Learn something new. TPK

Comment

Well I did some looking around and saw an earlier post by you and it looks like it may be Aufkl. Abt. 17 of Inf.Div. 17. My assumption was regiment. WAF is a great tool to learn from members vast knowledge. Do we know if some of the 17th was detached from division and sent to Tunisia. TPK

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                            X