Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late war breast eagles

Greetings.
    Could any gents here please confirm the 'start date' for the use of 'late war breast eagles'? Were such emblems intended just for combat hbt tunics? I take it the same design and materials behind the similar 'late war' trapezoid for m43caps means the two items were 'released' at the same time?
    Any examples of such late war breast eagles on field tunics other than combat hbt tunics would be interesting.
    I understand too that zigzag stitching was an early war feature...would that mean all such late war breast eagles (and same style 'mouse grey' cap trapezoids) were straight stiched?
    I think bevo would best describe the pre-late war breast eagle.
    Does that mean the late war breast eagle was not bevo?
    Many thanks in advance for any answers provided.

Hello,

Are you talking about an embroidered eagle or a BeVo one. If you are talking about an embroidered breast eagle made on what appears to be a very thin rayon cloth, close to cheesecloth, The eagles were used on wool and HBT tunic. In some circles they are referred to as a "Shirt" eagle, but they are not. They are a standard issue breast eagle for tunics.

I am unsure of the start date of these but I would guess 1944. I used to own a 1944 dated M43 tunic made of Italian wool with one of these eagles factory sewn.

Fred
    Attached Files

Comment

Rightly said, fred. Thank you! Yes, I mean these thin 'cheese cloth' eagles. Was your tunic eagle straight or v-sewn?

Comment

Hello,

It was sewn on with a straight stitch I believe.

Fred

Comment

Here is one I have. Factory sewn with a "T" stitch, M44 with a 1944 depot stamp.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's two cut off examples I have, both are attached with variations of the zig zag stitch.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here are a few more,one zig zag and one straight sewn,both 44 dates.

I did see a 43 date HBT M43 jacket with this eagle factory sewn.

Glenn
              Attached Files
              "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

This one looks to be zig zag sewn across the top of the wing and the rest straight machine sewn.

Attached Files
                "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

thanks a lot, gents, for a fab spread of late eagle applications. t-stich was of particular interest. as is m44 tunics being issued with like insignia. any full shots of the whole m44 tunic with their late birds?

Comment

As your examples show, they confirm me that the beige backed one has never been used on the army field blouse. I'm pretty sure that it was the RAD version althought the same insigna in trapezoid shape was largely applied on the field caps (i think just one maker used this...) .

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ciavaglia View Post
                      As your examples show, they confirm me that the beige backed one has never been used on the army field blouse. I'm pretty sure that it was the RAD version althought the same insigna in trapezoid shape was largely applied on the field caps (i think just one maker used this...) .

...is there anyone who can confirm me this statement?
                      I'm just curious to know who if there is someone who has seen a field tunic with this beige backed eagle originally mounted.

Comment

Hello Alex,

Again I am sorry for the lateness of my reply.

These eagles came in multiple colors/shades of the base material from dark green to a very light beige/brown color. IMHO I believe that it was wartime shortages that dictated the color.

Fred

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                        X