No announcement yet.

My First Unifrom: Pre War Signal Officer Uniform and Visor Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre War? Six button not was used after 1941?
    Regards, Luca

Comment

Not an M36 for sure. The visor is made of high quality doeskin but the tunic looks to be made of standard wool. At least this is what i can see from the pics provided.
      Congrats on your first uniform. I wish you to make them soon a hundred
      sigpicLooking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Comment

As for the belt you need this type, for officers.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the help, I am just trying to learn. So my tunic would be an M40 or M41?

Comment

The "M40" terms etc are collector reference terms for issue tunics based on different styles of pockets, collars, pocket flaps, linings, numbers of buttons, and other details that mostly do not work well with officer tunics.

The 6 button front officer tunics were in general made after 1941 but I have seen pre-1941 dated tunics tailor made with 6 buttons and bag pockets and also 5 button officer tunics (also 8 button) dated as late as 1945. Exceptions aside, as a general rule a tailored jacket with external pockets like yours and six buttons especially for lower officer ranks would have been made after 1941.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
              The "M40" terms etc are collector reference terms for issue tunics based on different styles of pockets, collars, pocket flaps, linings, numbers of buttons, and other details that mostly do not work well with officer tunics.

The 6 button front officer tunics were in general made after 1941 but I have seen pre-1941 dated tunics tailor made with 6 buttons and bag pockets and also 5 button officer tunics (also 8 button) dated as late as 1945. Exceptions aside, as a general rule a tailored jacket with external pockets like yours and six buttons especially for lower officer ranks would have been made after 1941.
              So most officer tunics were tailor/privately made, kind of like in the US Army that officers have to purchase their own uniforms?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Stout View Post
                So most officer tunics were tailor/privately made, kind of like in the US Army that officers have to purchase their own uniforms?
                Indeed. Officers were getting paid well and had to pay in order to get dressed.

Comment

Though some officer tunics you will find with factory / depot stamps. These would often be upgraded to Leutnant from NCO during promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam S. View Post
                    Though some officer tunics you will find with factory / depot stamps. These would often be upgraded to Leutnant from NCO during promotion.
                    Thanks Adam, and here is a couple of pictures with medals on.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Also I am thinking about switching the ribbon bar for this one:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Today.

Working...
                      X