Officer's waffenrock restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer's waffenrock restoration

Here's a 1938 dated parade Doctor's uniform (waffenrock) which I picked up inexpensively ($390) on ebay since it was completely stripped...
    It only had slip-on shoulder boards (lacking tongues) which were tacked on to the shoulders with some thread.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 06-25-2013, 01:21 AM.

The tail had been modified with the removal of the Blue waffenfarbe, removal bat wing flaps + removal of 4 of the 6 buttons.

This lead me to believe that it was partially converted for war time use, but not completely modified per the post 1940 regulations...
    making the restoration much easier to accomplish!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 06-25-2013, 01:07 AM.

Comment

So because of that tail alteration I decided not to put standard prewar Waffen rock insignia on it,
      but instead to restore it to a war time configuration.

In other words with less "bling" as the post 1940 regulations dictated.
      It still retains its medical Blue piping on the front which otherwise would have been removed also,
      the complete removal of all piping (and fancy cuffs) was often ignored.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NickG; 06-25-2013, 01:09 AM.

Comment

It is named to a medical officer called Berger (no initials) and I found an Artz with that name attached to a Jaeger unit,
        so the sleeve oval was added, even though it was not clear if it ever had such an insignia before the restoration.
        Sometimes you just can't tell...

The slip-on boards are another war time "touch" otherwise not encountered on (pre-war) Waffenrocks.
        The shoulder seams had been neatly closed already when I bought it... so I left it alone like that,
        creating a custom touch, such a war time configuration with combat style slip-on rank insignia. (but not sub-dued!)

Also note the cuff buttons repositioning. A home leave uniform. Hope you like it!

Any other examples of similar war time conversions out there? (not exactly meeting the war time regulations)

There is a great thread already dedicated to modified (converted) Waffenrocks, mosty enlisted examples,
        but also shows a neat medical officers versions in post number 32-33, posted by member Wessel,
        showing added pockets, modified sleeves but retaining prewar Waffenrock style blue backed collar tabs,
        and blue piped collar, but piping removed from the front closure area as per the war time regs!
        Another example of not exactly meeting the war time regulations for recycling Waffenrocks!

Check it out here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ed+waffenrocks

Attached Files
        Last edited by NickG; 06-25-2013, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X