medal loops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

medal loops?

Hi guys, I bought a tunic awhile back and I love it, but I've always wondered about the awards loops, do they seem ok?
    Attached Files

one more shot, and the same thread is used on the inside of the tunic to repair/tighten the lining.
    Attached Files

Comment

Loops are always individual. You'll never know whether during the war or subsequently attached.
      Officers oder EM/NCO's had made theys own loops on the uniform after the awarding. That's why you see all possible variation of loops.

Cheers,
      steiner99

Comment

Hey, thanks for the repsonse I did not know all of that!

Comment

Often you can tell when loops were period done based on overall construction, condition, and a few other factors. Certainly you can tell when beckets weren't done by a tailor. Others could and did add them. Award loops could have been added by a soldier, his wife/girlfriend/mother, etc.

Sewing is not a lost art, and those loops on your tunic could have been done wartime by someone with less skill, or post-war. Either way, I don't see much, if any, wear to the areas where medals would have been worn. Since the loops appear to be added by the same hand in the same thread at the same time, my inclination based on the photos provided would be post-war added in this case. But it would be better to make such an assessment taking the entire tunic into account, not just these photos alone.

J-

Comment

Hi J, I think you might be right, when I got this tunic it was badged all wrong for what it was(an officer converted Feldbluse with evidence of sew in boards), and I was always suspicious of whether or not it was a depot'ed Feldbluse that got reissued(and then the second guy won some awards) or was it simply monkeyed with by a collector who didn't know his stuff. Here's the original thread in any case.
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=580909&page=2

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
            X