M36 Tunic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M36 Tunic Question

I am rather new at uniform collecting. Daggers and helmets being my "thing".
    I bought an M36 6 button mid to late war dress tunic. It has the correct zig-zag stitching behind the collar. I read in a book, Robert Ludlum I believe, that said real tunics do not have a field dressing pocket inside. My tunic has an inside pocket on the left side. Also has a maker tag below the pocket thatsays "Richard Kist - Nurmberg". I know without pics it's hard to tell me but does this sound like it's good? Can you tell me what else to loook for? What is the value? I paid $600 USD. Thanks for all the help. If I can get access to a camera I'll post some pics...(Rick)

Sounds like a issue M36 tunic which was upgraded for walking out. Is the pocket a pocket bag on the inside bottom skirt of the tunic? Or is it a slash pocket in the breast?

Glenn
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

[QUOTE=feldwebl]Sounds like a issue M36 tunic which was upgraded for walking out. Is the pocket a pocket bag on the inside bottom skirt of the tunic? Or is it a slash pocket in the breast?

Glenn,
      It's a "slash pocket" high inside the tunic left breast about parallel with the lower portion of left sleeve.....Rick

Comment

Then it would probably be a parade tunic or Waffenrock which do display this pocket and not a issue M36 as this would not.

I would say what you paid is an average price if it is Infantry or Artillery. More however if it is a more desirable branch of service such as Panzer etc...

Have a look on some of the dealer websites such as www.germanmilitaria.com and you might find the tunic that you have or close too it.
        As the old saying goes 'a picture is worth a thousand words'

Glenn
        "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Souns like a standard officer's private purchase tunic

The bandage pocket was in the lower right front 'skirt' on all issue 4 pocket tunics. For these types of Heer tunics is was also the only inside pocket provided. So-called 'old-style' tunics with the lower slash style pockets were a different matter.
          Most all private purchase Heer officer tunics (and EM private purchase as well) had the inside left breast pocket that you describe. Many had another one as well in the same area on the right side...there were several options/varations of these details on private purchase tunics.
          As to price all I can say is look around. You will find that it is getting hard to to find a nice complete and orginal 4 pocket tunic from any dealer for much less than $1000. Many dealers are getting closer to $2000 for rarer (and 'desirable") branches like Pz and GbJ.
          I do agree that Artillery is fairly common, however most collectors realize that it was one of the five or so true Comabat Arms branches and second only to infantry in the total number of KCs (RKs) awarded.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X