THIS IS BEYOND SICK - ITS SAD destroying of NAZI items 1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THIS IS BEYOND SICK - ITS SAD destroying of NAZI items 1945

Not sure where exactly to post this but if you jump to 4 minutes and about 24 secs. you will see and hear something VERY disturbing.

How exactly did they destroy it? fire or digging it down, or was it just the weapons? i can see 4 visor hats at 4:36, are they waiting for destroction? REALLY???? it made me SICK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2QM8aOBwIY

You gotta do a little history digging..Almost ALL big towns the the new miltary government ordered the occupants to turn in ALL weapons and nazi items..often done with great fanfare at the town center..Most where then looted for booty and in some circumstances I dont doubt sometimes burnt and or detrroyed the rest..throw it in the river etc etc...Billbert

Comment

Steinar,
      If you think the destroying symbols of the Nazi Regime in 1945 just after the war that had raged through and destroyed much of Europe is sick, then you really have to sit back and think about what you are saying.

Mark

Comment

Where have you been?

Read up on some of the End of War Books on German War Booty. It's true that when the allies entered a new Burg, they normally would require that ALL residents bring out anything Nazi related. They burned uniforms, flags, etc. any metal items such as Daggers, Bayos, would then be run over by a Sherman Tanks Treads.

Comment

+1

Originally posted by markg View Post
          steinar,
          if you think the destroying symbols of the nazi regime in 1945 just after the war that had raged through and destroyed much of europe is sick, then you really have to sit back and think about what you are saying.

Mark

Comment

Make that +2

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
            Steinar,
            If you think the destroying symbols of the Nazi Regime in 1945 just after the war that had raged through and destroyed much of Europe is sick, then you really have to sit back and think about what you are saying.

Mark

Comment

Sometimes I actually come to my senses for a few minutes and realize what it is that I'm collecting.....we should all think this whole thing over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusader17 View Post
                Sometimes I actually come to my senses for a few minutes and realize what it is that I'm collecting.....we should all think this whole thing over again.
                It's true what we collect are items that belong to something that destroyed and ruined lives in bad ways back then.
                For me I look at my collecting of field equipment, uniforms and weapons for their quality off workmanship, and style, and design. I was in the Australian Army back in the 70's and I can tell you I was not impressed in what we were given to wear and use, we were still getting gear form the Korean War, and field bandages from 1947

Comment

And doesn't the rarity of what has actually survived from the destruction of Wehrmacht items immediately after the war also make it more desirable for collectors?

Comment

Are there any first-hand accounts from those who did the actual destruction of items back then?

The thought crossed my mind that, perhaps, not so much disappeared as one might imagine?

A lot, to be sure, but maybe not quite all that had been expected?

Comment

My Dad was in ETO 43-45, after the War one of the jobs he had as an NCO was to supervise POWs and other soldiers in the collection and destruction of German equipment. They tried to get all the weapons they could and would run over then with tracked vehicles to bend the barrels. Helmets and other metal items like mess tins and gas cans were grouped for salvage etc. Flags and political uniforms stuff like that were collected by the allies and burned or taken but many of the items like that were also destroyed by the civilians without them being told to do it.

Comment

Most of us are so far removed from the actual conflict and collect historical pieces for a variety of reasons. If any of us actually fought the Nazis, we'd likely want to burn and destroy much of what we came up against. I recall a photo of a GI swinging a k98 at an MG42. I probably would have felt the same way at the time.

We need to remember the context what we collect was used and worn in and around.

J-

Comment

I'm begining to rethink the whole collecting thing. Fakes and rip-off artists, thousands of dollars lost, then combine that with the true meaning of the stuff....maybe it isn't for me.

No judgement being passed on anyone else, but I've really been thinking about it alot lately.

Comment

I quit actually collecting after my service time in 1970.
                            Just did not want their stuff anymore.
                            I do like to observe from afar as some pieces are interesting and the values are astounding.
                            I sometimes wonder about motivations and insensitivities, but its a free country.
                            Being sickened at Nazi regalia being burnt at wars end is pretty unrealistic.
                            MLP

Comment

Originally posted by Crusader17 View Post
                              I'm begining to rethink the whole collecting thing. Fakes and rip-off artists, thousands of dollars lost, then combine that with the true meaning of the stuff....maybe it isn't for me.

No judgement being passed on anyone else, but I've really been thinking about it alot lately.
                              Those heroes of the past leave much to be desired, particularly when compared to the idols of today. Perhaps sports memorabilia is the way to go.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by OSS; 02-17-2013, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X