CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

old WWII Heer Unit film... help... clues? Wolf Head symbol? Vehicle? etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old WWII Heer Unit film... help... clues? Wolf Head symbol? Vehicle? etc.

An old WWII film taken no doubt by a soldier of his particular Unit detailing various day to day events of his unit... I have selected some frames that I am hoping will be enough to help you help me...

"Wolf's Head" shows up in a frame by itself at the intro and then again seen on a vehicle that transports "Hauptmann GADE" (anyone have a record of this name?). The same car has a "WH" on it which from my own research (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) would indicate German army (Heer). The first title I believe reads " A Berlin suburb (Winter 1940/41)" ...any comments or helps as to I.D.ing this unit or its whereabouts or any familiar faces during the winter of 1940-1941 is greatly appreciated.

The long-nosed Little Red Riding Hood "Big Bad Wolf w/ Tongue" symbol I'm hoping will be the clue for you to help me out on this one... I tried to research it and don't think it is a Luftwaffe unit (Jagdgeschwader 77) as I see only one soldier in the film with what I would recognize as Luftwaffe wings and the wolf they use as a symbol seems to always be inside a shield? Thanks for taking a look and lending me a hand. DP

Catagory?

Plenty of views yet not one comment? Have I posted this in the wrong category? Please suggest a better or more appropriate category for me to find some help on this original film and its contents... Thanks for any suggestions... DanDan

Comment

I would post it in the,

"Order of battle and individual research forum"

Regards KK

Comment

Looks like there was a heldengedenk day , and lots of vehicles had paintings of different personalized art, and Im sure it means something ,possibly to a unit , but we may never know ,,adolph was called the wolf, as his handle, but not sure it related to him , as he tried to be secretive as to his traveling, and may just be a mascot...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_in_warfare
        Maybe this heer unit had a police dog that traveled in that car as many do today....its anybodys guess....I have lots of nazi 16mm original training films.

Comment

link

I just found another interesting photo that is very similar... but again, it looks like no info. on the unit

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...1014&start=420

Is there anyway for me to look up the name on the sign that I pictured above? "Hauptmann Gade" ... ??

Thanks,
          DanDan

Comment

Hauptmann Gäde was an (E) officer assigned to Festungspionierstab 25 in Allenstein (now Olsztln, Poland) in 1939.

Comment

Jonny...

Johnny... do you have any idea where this guy would have been winter of 1940-41.... "Berlin suburb" on the film... thanks... dandan

Comment

Originally posted by DanDan View Post
                Johnny... do you have any idea where this guy would have been winter of 1940-41.... "Berlin suburb" on the film... thanks... dandan
                There may be service files for him taht would tell you that, "E" officers that were WWI vets and or retired who were older and were on duty to fill trained positions with the lack of newer and younger officers after the rapid expansion of the Wehrmacht. I would guess he would be in a training or specialized skill rear unit which is where he was assigned in 1939. That sign probably was in front of his house on a Kaserne.

Comment

30+ ADDED FRAMES, MORE CLUES? TAKE A LOOK!! Thanks...

Hello again... Please enjoy and please share! Here are another 30+ frames from this unit film... perhaps these frames will help you to help me identify this unit, etc. ... Maybe this added information will confirm what some have already suggested above... either way let me hear your thoughts and let me know if you notice anything that might be helpful... Thank You! DanDan

Comment

Can you make out the numbers on the Officers boards? The prefix "IM" is for Saxony on the plate. The men look older and like reservists of a rear unit. The wolfs head is probably the unit symbol. The 616 may be a clue as well.

Comment

I think it is possible it may be this unit- They had 7 transport Kolonnen with "heavy trucks" so 1/616 would have been the first "Kolone" for the unit. That matches the older guys and vehicles.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...Abt/NKA616.htm

Comment

I think Johnny is right.

Comment

Some of our German friends may know where that (probably WWI) monument is but the Soviets and East Germans also razed a lot of the ones that were in DDR after the War. The title of the heading is "A Berlin Suburb" so that is also a clue. They could (were not supposed to) not put down specific locations during the War for military photos etc.

Comment

boards...

I don't think any numbers are visible on the Officer's boards... I may have missed the opportunity to zoom in on maybe the one frame that would have been best suited to do so but the contraption that I had to build to wind it down and then back up again with photo opportunity is now taken apart! lol

the car license is:
                            IM 251 055

the motorcycle license is:
                            IE 3573

...and the sign in the builing entrance is "Engelhardt Biere" so I take it we are indeed still in Germany?

Thanks for all your observations... the burlap sac covering the window of the big truck says something I cannot make out...

That was interesting to find out that monument was a WW1 monument... I missed that....

Thanks,
                            DanDan

Comment

There may not be numbers on his boards- IE is for Brandenburg so that puts you near Berlin. The beer name may be the best clue- it was associated with Charlottenburg, which is a western "suburb" of Berlin.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X