Tropical tunic M41

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
    Thank you Tim...I know from collecting Continental uniforms that the eagle applications seemed to be all over the place starting in say 40,some even entirely hand sewn in 44.

Glenn
    Most welcome Can anyone add to the tropical eagle application evolution ?
    As far as Europe does not surprise me considering the situation. When did the zigzag on eagles first appear in Europe ?

Comment

Earliest I have seen machine zig zag used (non tropical) entirely on the eagle was 40 (and rare to see)

Glenn
      Attached Files
      "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
        Earliest I have seen machine zig zag used (non tropical) entirely on the eagle was 40 (and rare to see)

Glenn
        Outstanding, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tim OK View Post
          General guidline- 1940 dated tunics hand sewn eagles. '41 zip and flip, then hand finished. '42 zip and flip, then machine, then hand finished. Zigzag and straight stitched machine both appeared in '42 but are more common for '43 and on third patterns etc.
          Of course the timeline overlaps a bit from year to year and maker to maker.
          Hello,

can you tell me from where you know it? In which book you have found this information or is it just your opinion from collecting?

Thank you Radek

Comment

It comes from years of study of eagle application on known original dated tropical tunics. Agree it is good to get the books and gain knowledge, but the best way is to look at original tunics in collections today. Also there are many great examples here on this Forum

Here is a link to another site that does discuss it in a litle more detail...

http://afrikakorps.forumcrea.com/viewtopic.php?id=132

Heia Safari
            Tim

Comment

I would think the collar tabs to have the front and side portions machine sewn down. The eagle top portion also machine sewn and folded over then hand sewn. However, my opinion does not minimized the possibilities of other variations. Nice tunic, however the insignia first cought my eye.
              Last edited by Raven26; 11-17-2012, 07:38 PM.

Comment

So, I found there interesting post and proof that eagle is possible to be original sewn:

True! And it's important to note just how many tunics were manufactured in 1941 - many tens of thousands - so much so that these were still being issued fresh from stores in 1943...and I'm just talking about 1st pattern tunics, not 2nd's which actually saw their first year of production in (late) 1941.
                Mark

Radek

Comment

...and I stand by what I wrote there as those comments are factual.
                  I see no evidence to support your case that the eagle on your tunic is a period sewn example?? Can you please tell us from your experience why you believe the eagle is not replaced post-war, and support that theory with logical, fact based arguement?
                  Regards,
                  Mark

Comment

Yes, it is easy. I have the jacket in my hands...

Comment

Originally posted by antifake View Post
                      That is the best view

Comment

Originally posted by antifake View Post
                        Radek,

I have restored breast eagles to two tunics using the proper method and it is still obvious from the way the stitching looks that they have been resewn, especially compared to old stitching that has had time to settle. This is also quite obvious looking at the stitching of the eagle on your tunic which clearly indicates that this eagle was not sewn on 71 years ago.
                        I also had concerns about the collar tabs and Frank makes a good point about the sewing of these.

You don't have to agree with anyone here but the tropical collectors who have commented do have extensive experience in this field.

Mark

Comment

Nice thread and of course beautiful 1.st type DAK tunic.

Can anyone post some pictures of DAK eagle whitch are original put on tunics?

Cheers,
                          steiner99

Comment

Typical 1940/41 application.
                            Mark
                            New Zealand
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NZMark View Post
                              Typical 1940/41 application.
                              Mark
                              New Zealand

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X