Army uniform authentication please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army uniform authentication please

Had this walk into show, owner stated a relative had shipped it home to him, has sewn in medical boards, no wear or loops, tailor tag removed, strange cut to pockets and chest pockets have built in stiffener/divider in them. We gave him our opinion as possible West German or reinactor prop piece. Opinions please he will be monitoring the thread. Thanks
    Attached Files

Thanks guys, more photos if needed
    Attached Files

Comment

Steve, looks like aperiod Austrian private purchase medical tunic. The pockets are typical Austrian. Jacques

Comment

Have you got photos showing the entire front and back? Looks like Austrian cut to me.

Comment

Looks to me like an original pre-war Austrian or possibly Czech tailor made officer tunic with insignia period added for Wehrmacht use.

Comment

Bat wing pocket flaps are indeed Austro-Hungarian influence which the Austrian Army retained pre-Anschluss.
            No way reenactor material (that stuff is always text book), nor West German Bundeswehr in such a cut!!
            It's very obviously a nice WH Doctor's tunic and indeed no doubt tailored in Austria with neat internal pocket pleates, making it a non typical very special garment! Boards are ofcourse slip-on, not sew-in as described.
            NICE! So no tailor tags at all? (inside pocket? )
            Last edited by NickG; 08-13-2012, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Tunic

Excellent we are suprised and happy, here are a couple more shots
              Attached Files

Comment

Tunic

Thanks for the help guys, we will get back with him and make an offer, with the glue spot where an SS eagle would have been it had raised alarms. You are correct on boards my mistake. No names or labels at all in all pockets
                Last edited by Steve Flanagan; 08-13-2012, 10:44 AM.

Comment

As noted it is a pre-War Austrian tunic, the collar was replaced for use with the German Army. It still has an Austrian style suspension for a snap or clip on ribbon.

I would post better pictures of the insignia before deciding if they are original to the tunic, if someone glued an SS eagle to the sleeve I would say it is worth it to look more closely to see if the Heer insignia was reapplied. The tabs look loose in the photo and sewn very poorly. I cannot tell 100% from the photos but the straps are sew in they look like they were removable boards that were cut and tacked in there as well. Are there medical devices, I cannot see them in the images?

Comment

Btw Croatia was also part of the Austro-Hungarian empire (prior to 1918) so such uniform styles can be seen tailored in the Balkans as well! (Austro-Hungarian influence)
                    Not saying this one is necessarily Croation made but a German uniform custom ordered in the Balkans could also have these exact same traits! (not exclusively Austrian).
                    In the event its made for an SS officer in the Balkan theatre (and rebadged Heer medical post war). Who knows? FYI
                    Attached Files

Comment

The outstanding austrian feature for me is the broad "strips" above the pocket flaps at the top of the pockets , as well as the very scalloped shape of the pocket flaps. Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                        The outstanding austrian feature for me is the broad "strips" above the pocket flaps at the top of the pockets , as well as the very scalloped shape of the pocket flaps. Jacques
                        True that strip caused by stitching above the chest pockets is tell-tail Austrian trait..lacking in my images!

I was just commenting that be careful to paint with a broad brush and mark things Austrian just based on the bat wings and internal chest pocket pleats.... as those characteristics were also seen in the Balkans but Johnny & Co nailed it,
                        this particular tunic with those pocket traits = definately Austrian!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by NickG; 08-13-2012, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X