Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heer Pith Shield - Klein & Quenzer 41

Hello All,

Found this one recently and picked it up, as I hadn't recalled seeing one maker marked "K. u Q." and "41". Assuming everyone agrees it is a good K & Q, we can use it as a reference.

All comments are welcome.

Regards,

Eric
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

I don't recall ever having seen a 41 dated, but the date is much different than the 42 dated ones. Where near as crisp... interesting. Matt
      Attached Files

Comment

There are tons of different makers and styles of eagles out there. I do enjoy the variety. Matt
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello Matt,

Nice collection!

I couldn't see in your pictures - are the National tri-color shields "KuQ" marked? Do you have any that are KuQ marked? I ask, because my Adler was paired with an "AS" in triangle, and I wonder if Klein & Quenzer bothered to make any of the National Shield or relied on other makers...

Eric

Comment

Eric,

I have never ran into a KuQ marked tricolor shield ever. The tricolors are marked much less than the eagles for what ever reason. The only shield I can attribute to a specific maker that wasn't marked are the RK shields. I have gotten multiple sets over the years with the very heavy shields and they have what appear to be multiple circular marks on the back. Matt

Comment

Matt,

One observation I made is that the K&Q shield has a very rounded bottom, different from the many other makers, yet, similar to the KM Pith Shields. I wonder if this roundness is also a feature of a K&Q tricolor, like the ones I see in the upper right corner and right side of your Riker case. I'd be curious if the dimensions, method of construction, stipling, or other features match your "KuQ" marked pieces or mine.

Eric

Comment

Eric,

Id love to do some measurements and weights for you but currently am no where near the collection. Won't be back till around March or so. Matt

Comment

Hi Eric,

For what it's worth, here are pix of my KuQ41 marked eagle shield. It seems to be completely aluminium, whereas a lot of others seem to be painted/plated steel, or plated brass/tombak. My shield seems to be the twin of yours, and it came from the estand here a couple of years ago. The only other eagle shield I have is a JFS42 marked example, which is heavier, and seems to be painted steel/zinc (the base metal is mid-grey). The pins on the JFS shield seem to be magnetic, while my KuQ shield is totally non-magnetic (no surprise, as it's aluminium).

I cannot swear, vouch, or prove that my shield is original, though it was bought as such. I just wanted to post it because it is so much like yours. Interesting that Matt, who clearly knows his trophelm shields (amazing collection Matt!) has not encountered a KuQ41 example. If our examples are 'good', I guess they must have been issued in relatively small numbers.

Mark
                  Attached Files

Comment

And here's a better view of the maker mark and date.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Mark,

The Eagles are spot on (and so bold looking!) The background on mine is a very light texture, while yours has a distinctive pebbling. Ours are definitely first cousins, maybe even siblings if K&Q at some point refinished the die/mold with a different background texture.

Thanks for posting!

Eric

Comment

Eric,

just because I haven't stumbled into one doesn't mean they are scarce/hard to find. Its just what ends up being available in the places that I stalk/frequent. I do like your example and there are a ton of variations. If you would like some pics of other marked eagles let me know. Some of them are not the best but they will give you a good idea. Just pm me. Matt

Comment

Really cool to see these tropenhelm shields and Matt's collection is second to none I would assume.

Jerry

Comment

Hi Eric,

I think you are right about the two shields coming from slightly different dies. Apart from the pebbling, there is a minor but noticeable difference where the inner wings hang down. On the shield I posted, the wingtips practically touch the eagle's claws where they grip the swaz. On the eagle you posted, there is more of a gap. The paint loss on mine makes it less apparent, but it's definitely different.

It's been great to see another KuQ41, as I couldn't find any other reference pictures, despite searching this forum and a few others. I just wish the paint had survived better on mine; can't help wondering if someone stripped it with the idea of repainting it. It sure didn't wear off naturally, or there would be next to nothing left of the eagle!

All the best,

Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X