Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flatwire cap eagle for comment

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up this flatwire cap eagle, and I think it is a sun-and-rain faded post-1940 version, rather than an earlier (circa 1935/1936) type. Is that correct? Any help will be most appreciated.

Have good weekends, gentlemen!

Mark
    Attached Files

From the front it looks early.

Reminds me of the colour seen on some Waffenrock breast eagles.

Comment

Hi Mark, it looks like the earlier version to me, with a tan backing on a grey green base. I have a first pattern tunic eagle with the same colour combination. It also has the long neck with small head more typical of first pattern eagles.

Jerry

Comment

Greetings All,

This is the first pattern Flatwire eagle. Nice piece!!

Fred

Comment

very nice and typically seen on he earlier crushers. I would love to have a nice tan one like this just stuck away in case I stumble across a crusher in need. These are harder to find than the green backed examples. Matt

Comment

due to the reverse thread, IMO it's not an early but a faded green one ...

Michael

Comment

Greetings All,

Due to the construction of the reverse, color of the base cloth of the reverse , style of eagle, Color of the eagle body is exactly why I believe it is an early first pattern eagle.

Fred

Comment

I m with Fred..not faded..a crusher style early eagle...Billbert

Comment

No faded ????

my monitor (or I) wan't very good , then looking closely I will agree it's more a grey one thant a green background

BUT it faded too .. The color of the eagle background initially was in the same color than the threads in the middle of the reverse then darker as it is now

Comment

On the early crusher eagles like this one the backing is always this tan color. Matt

Comment

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for all your comments. There's a saying about life that nothing is black or white, it's all shades of grey. When it comes to heer insignia, it's all shades of grey, green, or tan! That's why this eagle had me scratching my head. Getting some more opinions about it has been great, I appreciate everyone taking the time to look at this eagle.

Hope you're all having good weekends.

Mark

Comment

Take a look at some of the beautiful eagles on mounted bottle green cloth for parade tunics..this same color tan is often encountered..Billbert

Comment

I also seen & have several eagle of this "Tan/green" color, I have no worry on them
                          BUT the tread going to the reverse IS the thread coming from the obverse when producing then was initally the same color, just an observation ...

I think its an interesting case and maybe would you think it's stupid to think so but could the Tan (not conform to any regulation) background eagles be only faded or altered grey (as per regulation) background ???

Michael
                          Attached Files

Comment

As an illustration, this eagle is originaly sewn on a side cap and have a similar color. The cap clearly show fading (the color being darker under the flaps)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for the back-and-front picture. The difference between the back and front was my reason for posting the eagle. I was thinking the same as you, that the thread from the back must also appear on the front, surrounding the bullion wire used for the eagle. It could be that the front has faded from one 'good' colour (the standard early-looking heer green on the reverse) to another 'good' colour (the lighter green/tan colour)!

Thanks again,

Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X