Question on tailor tag names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on tailor tag names

Who generally speaking puts the owners name (+rank and date) on the tag of a custom ordered/tailored tunic?
    Is it the tailor or the owner himself?

I know that sometimes on high end pieces the tag's owner info is actually typed in with a typewriter and than stitched in the tunic,
    so obvioulsy tailor done...
    So is that how it works with hand written labels? First filled in than attached and if so its the tailor's handwriting than?
    (as opposed the the customer naming the piece himself?)
    Last edited by NickG; 08-08-2012, 10:58 PM.

Nick, IMO this was made by the taylor. I have seen a lot of Kriegsmarine labels from same place and all that were hand writting is clear that were written by same person.
    Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
    Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Originally posted by km-spain View Post
      Nick, IMO this was made by the taylor. I have seen a lot of Kriegsmarine labels from same place and all that were hand writting is clear that were written by same person.
      Perfect! Just what I thought!

Comment

I agree most where done from the tailor...
        it can be very useful because it allows me to confirmed that one my named luft tunic, comparing with 2 other tunics of the same tailor from the same time line , the tunic was originaly named not named after

see post 19 of this thread
        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=499141

I think that this "study" it is more valuable than any story told arround "named" tunics...

Michael

Comment

Most of the tags were on sheets or rolled tapes and were filled out and then torn out and sewn into garments. Sometimes when you see uniform groupings the order numbers of the pieces will be in consecutive order. I have also seen tags filled out by owners with hand writing matching Soldbuch signatures for smaller tailor firms. I do not think there is one answer but most often it was done by shop personnel etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
            Most of the tags were on sheets or rolled tapes and were filled out and then torn out and sewn into garments. Sometimes when you see uniform groupings the order numbers of the pieces will be in consecutive order. I have also seen tags filled out by owners with hand writing matching Soldbuch signatures for smaller tailor firms. I do not think there is one answer but most often it was done by shop personnel etc.
            Agree.

BTW: One has to distinguish between two types of so called tailor made uniforms.

1.) Uniforms that could be bought semi finished at a large uniform shop. Most uniforms fall into this category. The officer basically ordered an almost finished uniform and the shop only made some size/style adjustments and added the requested rank insignia. The shop wrote customer name and order number on the label before the adjustments were made.

2.) The truly tailor made uniforms. Uniforms made from scratch specifically for one man.

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post
              Agree.

BTW: One has to distinguish between two types of so called tailor made uniforms.

1.) Uniforms that could be bought semi finished at a large uniform shop. Most uniforms fall into this category. The officer basically ordered an almost finished uniform and the shop only made some size/style adjustments and added the requested rank insignia. The shop wrote customer name and order number on the label before the adjustments were made.

2.) The truly tailor made uniforms. Uniforms made from scratch specifically for one man.
              I agree as well, we call the second category "Bespoke" to use a 500 year + old term. I still remember a LW officer telling me about the prefabricated kind in a shop where I lived being pre-sized like modern suits, he said "Die hatte immer unser Beerdigung Kleidung listig". or something like that.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X