Tailor applied eagle on an officer field blouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailor applied eagle on an officer field blouse

I am selling a field blouse and was asked for better pictures of the eagle application, I wanted to post them here for review. I am extremely confident that this is the only eagle that was ever on this worn original jacket and that it was applied by a tailor before 1945. Although I understand that hand sewn is hand sewn and that determining when a piece of insignia was applied can be more art than science, this piece exhibits everything I like to see, including:

-Neat and even tiny stitches showing a high level of skill
    -Thread consistent with period manufacture
    -Eagle and base material show matching age and wear
    -General impression of undisturbed original patina
    -Eagle has settled into base fabric
    -Total lack of any trace of prior stitching, area appears pristine and undisturbed

There is one single odd angled stitch at the left wing tip that I have pictured, presumably this was where the tailor began or finished the job and to me it does not raise any red flags considering the overall impression of age and the quality of the work. In general I would say this eagle shows traits typical of and diagnostic for original period tailor sewing. Any comments or opinions on this application are welcome and appreciated.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Insignia trifecta on this jacket.
        Attached Files

Comment

I dont see any problems in this, looks good

Andy

Comment

The eagle looks original to me for all the reasons stated in the first post, I see no red flags as being reapplied.

Comment

Looks period to me. Nice jacket. Jacques

Comment

Im with the others, I think its untouched. It settles well into the tunic and the level workmanship is on cue with what I would expect from a tailor. Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X