Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Underwear shirt ?

Can anyone tell me if this is a type of german underwear/shirt,
    shirt is collar less,but there is 3 buttonholes,maybe to attach a collar,name label to a gefreiter,dont know anything about these,so I would be gratefull if some one cut tell if its good or bad.
    Thanks for looking.
    Cheers
    J.S
    Attached Files

Collar with button holes
    Attached Files

Comment

sleeves and namelabel
      Attached Files

Comment

I can't tell you what it is or if it is original, but the the tag doesn't look to me like it's original to the shirt. It appears worn while the shirt looks mint, and the thread looks brand new and possibly from a modern sythetic material. You might black light it to see if it glows or try a burn test to see if it melts like plastic.
        Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Stepdale View Post
          I can't tell you what it is or if it is original, but the the tag doesn't look to me like it's original to the shirt. It appears worn while the shirt looks mint, and the thread looks brand new and possibly from a modern sythetic material. You might black light it to see if it glows or try a burn test to see if it melts like plastic.
          Dale
          I totally agree! The owner tag has been planted with synthetic thread to give it fake provenance!
          Those two-hole buttons with metal inner core don't even look German to me... not WW2
          I would be more much comfortable with paper buttons! RUN!

Comment

The two-hole cloth covered buttons are German, made by Prym. The design of the shirt looks plausible to me but I imagine that Sweden and other countries may have used a like design. I do agree that the application of the name tag raises concerns.

Comment

OK so cloth covered buttons...with metal reenforcement. Good info! Did not notice it being cloth covered!
              I actually own one of those (loose)!!! So period German! So that check out OK after all!...
              I'm familiar with paper composite button types! Thanks for sharing the knowledge!
              Tag is indeed questionable!
              Last edited by NickG; 07-10-2012, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I agree with Chris, there are several types of buttons found on these and they change over time. These buttons are found on preWar clothing etc. I would like to see better pictures.

Comment

Thanks for all comments,and I agree,the name tag is sewn in the shirt to make it more attractive,the stichings glows under UV light.
                  Cheers
                  J.S

and here is a few more photos.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Clear now! Learned something new today! I had such a button which came with some pebbled buttons...
                    I think I threw it in the trash as I could not ID it at the time and can't find it now! (no big money lost)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X