Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heer tunic for opinions...

Hi all,

This looks like an obvious put together to me, but then I've passed up worse items before that turned out to be authentic so I'd rather get opinions before dismissing.

In general, the stitching on this tunic looks very poorly done, with uneven stitching, and poor quality corners. If you look closely at the photo of the pocket you can see what I'm talking about. It also looks like the breast pockets have been replaced; there appears to be evidence of past stitching to the right of, and above the existing pocket. I've also never seen a tunic in any of my reference materials showing a pocket with squared off lower corners like this one has. All are either rounded or angled corners.

Also, if you look at the interior and rear shots, there is no slit in the bottom center of the tunic, it is stitched closed. Again, not in line with examples I've seen where all have a slit cut at bottom center of the tunic. There are also no inside pockets or straps.

The shoulder boards also do not match the collar tabs. The tabs are Medical, while the boards are either Signals or Cavalry? Another reason this set is suspicious (not to mention the Luftwaffe Flak badge on the pocket).

Anyway, I'd like some more opinions nonetheless. I know the Germans utilized captured clothing (Dutch, Czech, Austrian, etc.) so I never pass up something unless I'm 100% certain its bad.

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect WW2 Third Reich German Uniforms, US Uniforms and Japanese Uniforms.

The base tunic looks like it is probably period made from a GJ Windbluse. This is fairly common to see. I would look very carefully at the tresse, tabs and eagle, they may be original applications. The cav/recon boards are removable so when they were added etc. like the awards is another question harder to answer but most likely not part of the original set-up.

Comment

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the feedback. I love collecting TR cloth, I learn something new almost daily Do you have any idea where I can find examples (photos) of similar Windbluse tunics to compare mine to? I've been searching Google and am coming up short. You mention these are common so perhaps I'm searching on the wrong keywords? Are these tunics commonly referred to as something other than "Windbluse"? All I'm getting are the drawstring jackets with hoodies.

Comment

Here is mine. A GebArt-Major
        Attached Files

Comment

Indeed a nice double breasted Windjacke period conversion. The (now partial) inside size stamps would correspond with the original outer jacket, now converted (by a company tailor) to a light weight tunic! Find some sanitater NCO shoulderstraps to finish off this custom made
          medical tunic! A big bonus that the original outer garment stamp is still (partially) visible!

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
            Indeed a nice double breasted Windjacke period conversion. The (now partial) inside size stamps would correspond with the original outer jacket, now converted (by a company tailor) to a light weight tunic! Find some sanitater NCO shoulderstraps to finish off this custom made
            medical tunic! A big bonus that the original outer garment stamp is still (partially) visible!
            Thanks for the reply Nick! Question... Do you think the stamped name "eiler" on the inside with the size markings complete or partially cut off by the seam? Is it the name of the soldier or the tailor?

Comment

Originally posted by dzyner View Post
              Thanks for the reply Nick! Question... Do you think the stamped name "eiler" on the inside with the size markings complete or partially cut off by the seam? Is it the name of the soldier or the tailor?
              What's left of the chopped off ink stamp is the partial name of overcoat maker's company... cut off during the tailoring process ...
              So now only partially readable like I wrote. The size info (corresponds with 3/4 length overcoat) was also cut off
              and the depot was probably Munich = M39. (München 1939). Most GJ gear came from this Bavarian "M" depot.

Here's another one (M40)
              http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H016265.html

Last edited by NickG; 07-06-2012, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X