• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few visual aids. jim
    Attached Files

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWsJcg-g1pg

Comment

the 3.picture in the 1. posting makes me sure it is original. You can clearly see that the black wool is old and well worn. It doesnt matter that the stamp is sligtly different. Holz & Birkkowski was a large maker.

Comment

quite a tough one I can see... so the Michelstadt logo would have been reproduced too?

Comment

I think that this is a tough call (at least for me). Yes the logo on the cloth bolt would also have to be reproduced. Your example is very well done.

As far as the size stamp goes it appears that HB might have stamped some of their tunics vs being done at the depot. The large central number is a distinctive trait, but not one that was always followed. Here are a few BII stamps as well as some other blessed HB Size stamps and one fake.

The discussion on this one is as deafening as the one on the Black Valet M43 hat.

Jim

Originally posted by teka View Post
            quite a tough one I can see... so the Michelstadt logo would have been reproduced too?
            Attached Files

Comment

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I bet there is wear under this tab from the wool used to make this.
                Attached Files
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

That could be. Not real easy to confirm without removing the tab.Of course its possible to pry the edges of the tab or eagle and check for wear. If the whole thing was made from used wool there might be some indication near the shoulderboards too. Jim

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                  I bet there is wear under this tab from the wool used to make this.

Comment

Reversed opinion

Not that it matters but I am inclined to reverse my earlier opinion that the wrap itself is original. It does not have much to do with the differences in the stamps although that is a data point, but a more careful look at the construction details, the wear patterns, fabric and placement of lining material....have all created serious doubts for me. Hats off to B.Singer and others for spotting problems early on.

This one for me is a different kind of fake than I have seen before and that is the challenge with trying to keep up with all of the generations of fakes and why it is even more important to keep focused on the details of the originals to use as the baseline.

One thing that I would bring up is that over the last few years..the sophistication of copying real stamps seems to have greatly improved and this apparently has now moved to copying the bolt markings that are sometimes found.......however rarely this strong in a garment that shows this much wear and use!

Comment

well at this point I would like to thank you all for having taken the time to look at this wrapper, unfortunately with a negative conclusion in terms of originality. The hunt keeps on!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X