Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1942 'Transitional' Tropical Tunic

Hi All,
    I'd like to share this uncommon tunic - 1942 dated, factory sewn and all original. There is clear evidence of a chevron on the left sleeve with sun-fading so issued and clearly worn - not a 'shelf-sitter' in any way. The lower pockets are not later replacements due to wear etc.
    I'd like to ask any members with period images of such a 'transitional' tunic in wear - and anyone else with a tropical tunic with such features - to post the images here, please - or feel free to pm me to discuss images you don't wish shared?
    Regards,
    Mark
    Attached Files

Detail...
    Attached Files

Comment

You see odd manufacturers variations like this in wool tunics as well "between" models. I have seen M42 wool tunics with pleated upper pockets and plain lower bags. The pockets were pleated before being sewn to jackets and they may have had some left over -it could just be the way a manufacturer made them until corrected or old stock was used up etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
        You see odd manufacturers variations like this in wool tunics as well "between" models. I have seen M42 wool tunics with pleated upper pockets and plain lower bags. The pockets were pleated before being sewn to jackets and they may have had some left over -it could just be the way a manufacturer made them until corrected or old stock was used up etc.
        Johnny,
        Thanks for the input - exactly what I surmised. Logically enough the maker wouldn't toss out the pre-made breast pockets once the new un-pleated lower pattern started to be used on the production line. I wonder how many were produced like this until the breast stock ran out...? Interesting!
        Regards,
        Mark

Comment

Interesting. Explanation on these transitional pieces makes perfect sense! Germans were frugal resulting in such hybrids...
          (creating a Polizei style!)

Comment

Is it my imagination or are the pleats made from a slightly different material than the rest of the tunic? I have seen unpleated continental tunics which have had pleats added to suit the personal tastes of the wearer.

Comment

Good eye, Mr.S,
              The 'blouse' panel is factory sewn and does not 'bellow' as per a standard' pocket. As the pocket itself is originally sewn and not a replacement I would think that it was made this way to finish an order of 1st patterns - which over lapped the new run of 2nd's...
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by NZMark View Post
                Good eye, Mr.S,
                The 'blouse' panel is factory sewn and does not 'bellow' as per a standard' pocket. As the pocket itself is originally sewn and not a replacement I would think that it was made this way to finish an order of 1st patterns - which over lapped the new run of 2nd's...
                Mark
                The notion of overlapping runs is possible, though this is the first time I have heard of such a thing. It appears to me from your images that the upper pockets are applied with a different thread than the lower pockets and, while they appear factory, the detail of the slightly different material used in the "faux" bellowed pockets plus the (apparent) use of different threads suggests to me that the owner had the M-42 pockets "upgraded" for a more retro appearence. Mind you I am not arguing this for arguments sake, it is an interesting anomoly and I would like to know the truth of the matter.

Comment

This tunic demonstrates the evolution of the tropical tunic. Some very advanced DAK collectors argue that the "2nd" pattern itself is really just transitional to the third pattern. Till the scalloped flaps were all used up they continued to appear, each maker having a different timeline as to when the last of the 1st patterns appeared and the 3rd patterns began...

This tunic appears to break several of the "so called rules", including that a soldbuch will not fit in the upper pocket when it is buttoned shut (?) which was the reason in making the larger pockets on the later 1st patterns in the first place.

Overlapping "runs" is not uncommon on German uniforms and caps. The evolution of the M40 for example & the tropical tunic as well.

Really nice piece in my opinion

Comment

As I said before I have seen the same thing with factory produced M42 wool tunics but do not own one to show. You also see six button front M41s factory made with badge green collars and I have seen one M42 with what looked to me like a factory badge green collar. They used up what was on hand. I have several examples of M43s with the pleats being added to look like earlier tunics and they are not sewn like this one tucked under the pocket bag. A picture from the inside should show if the bags were removed to sew a pleat like this?

Comment

Thanks Tim & OSS for both postings. This is another reason for websites such as WAF - to make us think...
                      I listened to OSS and certainly didn't discount the possibility that the pockets were retro-fitted with a 'faux' bellows appearance - so I took the tunic and examined it closely. Both breast pockets were manufactured using two thread colours - both the slightly olive thread and the grey/olive thread. Both pockets have the 'S' ring backing panel sewn with the grey/olive thread while the rest is olive - so constructed then sewn in place as per usual on the assembly line. There was simply a change of thread on the sewing bobbin...
                      I went over the inner panels looking at the wear, also looking closely for old sewing wear lines - but all is completely consistant.
                      I've taken these images in natural lighting but hopefully the thread colours are clear.
                      In short, I have now no doubt the pockets are factory applied. Why the 'faux' bellows panel? That mystery belongs with the assembly line workers.
                      Regards,
                      Mark
                      PS - Just saw your posting too, Johnny! CHEERS
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by NZMark; 06-23-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mark

Thanks for additional pics. They clearly show this was done in a factory and not altered afterwords. Again this is definitely a transitional piece.

Johnny has excellent comments as well

Heia Safari !

Comment

These outside the box subject articles and threads are a great homage to the WAF.

Mark, this is a unique piece you have like your M-40 hat (w/o flase panels) that generates a great interest. I agree with all aspects that manufactures maximized and resourced all textile materials for fabrication.

In support of comments, I have a nice 2nd pattern tropical tunic that has the pocket flaps faded more than the rest of the tunic. And another 2nd pattern tropical tunic that has a very small patch incorporated in the bottom pocket corner where there was not quite enough fabric to construct a full pocket from single cloth panel.

Goes to show that different bolts of cloth by fabric and dye consistiency and unconventional construction practices were routinely excercised.

-Ray-
                              Last edited by -Ray-; 06-24-2012, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X