Small but Rare GD Grouping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small but Rare GD Grouping

I haven't added too many items to my collection in the last few years but this one I had to have.

I'll start with some pictures of the GD items that were removed from a tunic. Breast eagle and collar tabs.
    Attached Files

Nice set of Artillery boards with GD ciphers and a beautiful Cufftitle.
    Attached Files

Comment

While the above items are cool they weren't exactly what I needed for my collection. What sold the grouping for me was the Flak Abteilung GD Patch! I have only seen pictures of it in books. I certainly never expected to have one in my collection. According to Scott Pritchett this is one of 6 known examples. When he wrote the book he only knew of 4. This example and another variant came to light after the book was published.

This style is shown in Scotts excellent 3 Volume series on GD.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Warm regards Jim
      Attached Files

Comment

What a killer grouping! Matt

Comment

That cufftitle is gorgous - I can see why you couldn't pass it up. The boards are very nice as well, a good combat officer rank. As a whole, the group is really neat, and it sounds like you intend to keep it together - well done!

regards, Robert

Comment

Superb set. I am sure Bob would be on your case for the winged arty badge. Jacques

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I wish I actually knew if it was a group and who it came from. I believe the eagle, CT and Boards came from the same person. The collar tabs and patch are unused so no way to tell if they actually belong to the group. I lean towards yes but no way to prove it.

The CT is one of the nicest I've ever handled. Nicely worn and minor damage to one end when it was removed from the tunic. It used a blue cloth to hold the embroidery together.

The ciphers appear to be the 2d type according to Scotts book. A prong was broken on one of the ciphers.

The patch is awesome and the quality is amazing. It has a nicely padded feel to it. The colors are unfaded.. I don't know what condition the other 5 patches are in, but this one is unissued.

Bobs collection is way too big. The poor patch would get lost among all his RKs, DKs, etc. ha,ha.

Jim

Comment

I have been going crazy trying to find that patch. Now I will have to tempt Jim with some goodies to see if he will cut it loose!

Bob Hritz
                In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Nice

Comment

A photo from my collection showing the patch in wear. Jim
                    Attached Files

Comment

Now I will have to bug you for the photo also. I am trilled that you got the set.

Bob Hritz
                      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

beautiful

Congratulations with this items. I tried to obtain it also. Offered twice in Germany, once at a auction, later at Weizes site...Just didn't make it to Holland.......love the GD art. arm badge. Once again congrats...and for a very nice price ............

Comment

Very nice group !
                          Congrats !

Best regards

Comment

I did not know that the Flak Abteilung was that rare, congrats on the GD collection. Question was the Flak Abteilung attributed only to the GD or all herr?

Rene Chavez
                            www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Chavez View Post
                              I did not know that the Flak Abteilung was that rare, congrats on the GD collection. Question was the Flak Abteilung attributed only to the GD or all herr?

Rene Chavez
                              www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com
                              Hi Rene,

The Army had a number of Flak Abt. They wore the winged shell on their shoulder boards. Even the standard Army SBs with Flak device are uncommon to rare to find.

The patch shown above was only worn by the GD Flak Abt. I think Bender suggests it was because the GD Cipher and Flak device wouldn't fit on a shoulderboard.

Regards Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X