Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modification or (wartime) restauration on a pair of M36 trousers

Hello guys

I have these trousers but noticed on lower legs these small alternations - they appear on both legs and are very similar done (see pictures for details).

It is noted that these trousers are a bit thinner made towards the legs bottom. Is this done with this intention or just damaged area's repaired by coincidence on exact same spot?
    And if alternation, why this way?

No further damage is visible on these pants, they are in slighly worn but still very nice condition.

Thanks in advance for helping me out
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jan B; 06-15-2012, 05:28 PM.
    'Arzt und Soldat'

Attached Files
    'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Attached Files
      'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

best I can do at this moment for close-ups. At first glance it looks like just 2 tears were repaired but then at exact same spot on each leg and trousers that are more narrow in that area?
        Attached Files
        'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Overal view. Difficult to get the more narrow ends on picture.
          Attached Files
          'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Maybe I'm crazy, but it looks too me that the repair was made prior to the trousers being fabricated. The damage seems (excuse the pun) to end at the seam on each leg and the repair does not appear to touch the seam overhang inside. It looks like the piece of fabric was repaired before it was cut into 2 panels one for each leg.

I might add that the seams should be checked to see if they have been resewn in order to effect the taper that is shown on these and would not be factory on an issue pair. It is possible that the cut was made to remove excess material after the seams were cut and the material was re-sewn prior to the seams being closed. Hard to say when it was done but it was good work.

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
              Maybe I'm crazy, but it looks too me that the repair was made prior to the trousers being fabricated. The damage seems (excuse the pun) to end at the seam on each leg and the repair does not appear to touch the seam overhang inside. It looks like the piece of fabric was repaired before it was cut into 2 panels one for each leg.

I might add that the seams should be checked to see if they have been resewn in order to effect the taper that is shown on these and would not be factory on an issue pair. It is possible that the cut was made to remove excess material after the seams were cut and the material was re-sewn prior to the seams being closed. Hard to say when it was done but it was good work.
              Looks like a period repair or alteration. The black thread on the main interior seam looks post factory done. Maybe for ankle boots etc.

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post

Thanks for your input guys.

Phild, the seams are IMO, after checking out, not resewn.

But it is very plausible that excess material was removed this way - I think that make sence - and as Johnny stated, for ankle-boots or maybe even higher type cavalry boots.

Again, on the end of the legs no changes have been made.

If this is not a repair, it would be interesting to see other examples of trousers which have alternations in these area's. Please check out your trousers!

Regards

Jan
                'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X