Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer Breast Eagle on cloth - Orig?

Hi O learned ones!
    I have posted pics (front & Rear) of a recent acquisition of mine: A grey panzer breast eagle cut from a tunic. Under blacklight, the eagle shines ...But I know this is not necessarily bad news ...so I am seeking your opinions please.

Bad , sorry. Hope you haven't paid much for it.

Carles

Comment

I agree fake eagle, note the X feather pattern.

Comment

Thanks for input guys - It was a 'cheapy' so no harm done
        And thanks for the comment about the breast feather configuration - this is what the forum's all about...you can never stop learning!

Comment

Hi Ray,

Like you, I really appreciate the input of the knowledgeable guys in this forum. I have bought my fair share of fakes, and I am doing my best to learn how to tell what's 'good' and what's 'bad' in cloth insignia. If you would like to see a fake panzer eagle that I got caught out by, have a look at this thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=344867

I have been greatly helped by several members of this board. In that spirit, I have made a montage of an original panzer eagle, and the one you posted. I have put red boxes around the features that immediately 'leap out' at me at first glance.

This pattern of eagle is generally called '2nd pattern' in collectors' circles, and while you will see some minor variations in fine details on originals, 2nd pattern eagles will not deviate too far from the eagle posted here.

The chest of original eagles should be composed of what looks like a pattern of little v's. There was never a 2nd pattern army, panzer, or navy eagle that featured a diamond pattern. In originals, the tiny feather in the eagle's armpit (wingpit?) will usually consist of just one or two stitches, appearing like a dot, or a tiny square. Those in the eagle you posted are much bolder than you would see in an original. The last red-bordered area highlights the gap between the long wing 'feathers'. On originals, this should be quite narrow, and should match the width of the gaps in the rest of the eagle. These gaps in the eagle you posted are a bit wider than they would be on an original.

Other things to look for are the basic proportions of the eagle, the width of the neck where it joins the torso, and so on. However, the good news is that if you see an item online that you are thinking of buying, you can post a few pictures here and see what people say before you shell out any cash. I have done this a few times, and it has saved me a fair bit of money!

Like I say, I'm still learning, I'm not a know-it-all (I wish I knew enough to be one!) I'm just trying to pass on some of the things I have learnt since I joined this forum.

All the best,

Mark
          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X