Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frozzer View Post
    Hi

Overseas cap wich you can see was stripped too - in monday I receiver an insignia from Bill Shea and in the same day I reaplied them on cap.
    There is traces of removed soutache in pink colour wich still I am looking for.
    If someone know where I can buy it - please give me a PM's
    Hello Frozzer,

if this cap was mine then I would not worry about restoring the pink soutache. This is probably exactly the way that the member of the Panzerwaffe wore it, sometime after the 1942 order to remove the soutache. I would leave that part exactly as it is with just the traces of removed period soutache showing.

My reason for saying this, they are harder to find today without the soutache. These are the original types that I am after. When you look at the photos of the Tigers & Panthers. Most images of crew members with sidecaps serving in those tanks have no soutache or soutache removed on their sidecaps.

Today when one sees black panzer sidecaps for sale, they nearly always have a soutache. I will not speculate here as to why, except to say that it has become very hard to find a black panzer sidecap without a soutache. A post-war reapplied soutache adds no value to a black panzer sidecap. In fact it may devalue it, depending on how the soutache is reapplied or the existing traces of the original soutache removed/ altered.

These are the ones I am now after, the ones with soutache removed or manufactured without one. Of course, any original Pz. cap with a factory applied machine stitched soutache is also very hard to resist.

Your cap can never again be an original factory applied soutache. Why bother. IMO, better to leave that one as a soutache removed example and buy a factory applied example to go with it,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by galizien41 View Post
      I would say though that a 40 dated wrap may have used wool tabs.
      Yes - may have, but I saw 40y wraps wich has collar tabs like I used.

Ofcourse if I have an ocassion to buy any of patching pair - I took what was for sale. All we know that is extremly hard to find a matching pair. Wool pair is almost imposible to find.

if this cap was mine then I would not worry about restoring the pink soutache. This is probably exactly the way that the member of the Panzerwaffe wore it, sometime after the 1942 order to remove the soutache. I would leave that part exactly as it is with just the traces of removed period soutache showing....

Your cap can never again be an original factory applied soutache. Why bother. IMO, better to leave that one as a soutache removed example and buy a factory applied example to go with it,
      Chris - if you sold this cap to Marcin from Poland, then YES - it's yours cap. I bought it from polish collector.

and about soutache - you may have a right. Maybe I schould not apply them.
      I know that soutache was removed afther 1942.

Now ap priori on my search list are NCOs schoulderboards

Comment

Frozz,

I would say "a posterori pior" but is just detail. Very nice wrap, congrats
        Fingers crossed for your luck with finding matching pair of straps mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Grubhy View Post
          Frozz,

I would say "a posterori pior" but is just detail. Very nice wrap, congrats
          Fingers crossed for your luck with finding matching pair of straps mate.
          Thanks for correct - I'm to stupid to use latin, I shouldn't do that

Comment

Very nice wrap

Comment

Nice wrap, I would also vote for leaving the soutache off the cap. in my opinion adding it would detract from its value and by leaving it off you are open to many more possibilities in dressing this duo out gear wise etc when on a mannequinn.

Kevin

Comment

Very nice wrap !

Comment

Originally posted by galizien41 View Post
                  Nice set up.
                  Actually the tabs originated with me. They have always been like that. You can find period photos of skulls placed like that. They were originally source from an estate sale. I would say though that a 40 dated wrap may have used wool tabs.
                  Congrats on your nice hat and wrap.
                  Yes, I've seen again skulls in this position, but not so often
                  Interesting

Gustavo

Comment

From the pictures, I would say a nice original wrap
                    Congrats for your first one.
                    Luca
                    Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

Originally posted by Frozzer View Post
                      There is traces of removed soutache in pink colour wich still I am looking for.
                      If someone know where I can buy it - please give me a PM's
                      I should have something for you, let me see, I will contact you when I find it.
                      Luca
                      Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

Originally posted by Luca Ongaro View Post
                        I should have something for you, let me see, I will contact you when I find it.
                        Luca
                        I hold You to yYour word Luca

and one question - did someone saw an early Holz and Binkowski wrap wichout schoulderboards sewn into arms ?

Comment

Excellent wrap!

Congratulations on your first!

Comment

Thanks to Luca I received an original soutache to my cap. I made decision to reaply it - If I reaplied an eagle and cocarde then is nothing wrong to put back soutache on cap. If eagle and cocarde will be original applied then I wouldnt do that.

OK, back to cap - in all of overseas cap wich I saw soutache ends wasn't sewn between lining and wool material of cap. It was ended on the lower sew adound cap and ends of soutache was putted in small holes under flap.

In my cap looks like the end of soutache was sewn between lining. please take a look on photos.

And my question - maybe someone have overseas cap with original applied soutache in the same style like was on my cap ?
                            Attached Files

Comment

reconstruction
                              Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations on the panzer wrap and field cap. Is up to you if you want to attach the soutache on your fieldcap but I would leave as is.

Rene Chavez
                                www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X