Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jager metal cap badge

Gentlemen,

I realise this is a very basic item - apologies to everyone thinking, "Oh no, not another one of these..." - but I wanted to confirm something I read in another post in the forum. The post said that there are only two known original types of jager cap badge. One has long pins (posted below), and the other has the little pointed 'claws' on the edge of the badge (supposedly found in boxes at the end of the war). Is this actually the case, and is the other badge posted below on the left (with short pins) therefore a fake?

Any help with this minor mystery will be much appreciated!

Mark
    Attached Files

Well, to be accurate Mark, I said I only knew of two and that was based on what I've seen over time.

Tim

Comment

Hi Tim,

Apologies if there seemed to be any implied criticism in what I wrote. I didn't mean it that way. I was actually rather hopeful that there would only be two original versions of this badge around, as that would make it a lot easier to avoid the fakes. I'm still very much in learning mode, and 'golden rules' about the number of variants, types of fastening, colours, materials, etc, are great to pick up. In posting here, I was looking to confirm the 'two types' rule, not discredit it, or what you had written. Sorry mate, I see how tactless my post must seem, I meant no disrespect.

Mark

Comment

I have always considered the long or short flat-wire to be original. I have seen round-wire ones that looked original too.

Comment

Mark,

No worries!

Yes, I seem to remember seeing one a year or two ago with round pins as well and I too thought it was original.

As I told Mark in a PM, I think we sometimes put too much emphasis in the attachment pins and need to think more along the lines of die traits of the actual item.

I don't see anything wrong with Mark's short-pin version here. My original comments were in a context of another badge that was not of an original WWII Jager badge design.

Tim

Comment

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your feedback. I should have acted faster and bought it from the estand, someone beat me to it!

Thanks again,

Mark

Comment

Hi,
              Sorry to jump in on a thread with another question but I recently saw a Jäger cap badge in green for sale however I have only ever saw them in their natural metal colour before. Were they actually painted green at the time?

Comment

I would like to see a PIC of it if you have one!

I think I seen one in a period photo that was painted a light colored olive. It's possible that some painted them to subdue the badge from shining in the sunlight and giving their position away.

Tim

Comment

There's one here:

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H057960.html

The fastening is not the kind usually found on these badges.

All the best,

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Gebirgsjgr View Post
                    I have always considered the long or short flat-wire to be original. I have seen round-wire ones that looked original too.

Here is a shot of the round pins. Very similar to the AK Pith Helmet shields.
                    Attached Files

Comment

How about the metal cap badge with "..little pointed 'claws' on the edge of the badge (supposedly found in boxes at the end of the war).." are they ww2 production ?

Comment

imo both type are period.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X