Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 breast eagles and 2 questions!

Hi All,

I have seen a couple of eagles online, and I would be grateful for some information on them. The first eagle is a 2nd pattern BeVo flatwire, the construction of which (front and back) looks entirely 'good' to me. I think it must be original. My question is about the colour of the backing it is on. Most 2nd pattern eagles that I have seen are on dark green backing (on a dark green rayon roll). This one seems to have a lighter green backing, more like you would find on the 1st pattern heer BeVo eagles. Would this flatwire date from the cross-over point, when 2nd pattern eagles were just being introduced?

The second eagle purports to be an early, embroidered coastal artillerie (or marine, if you like) breast eagle. Apologies, I don't have a picture of the back, but I was wondering if this one looks original.

Any and all comments received with thanks!

Mark
    Attached Files

Both original,IMO

Glenn
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Greetings All,

As Glenn said "Both Original" Yes they are!

The first eagle you posted is a second pattern flatwire eagle but it is a post 1940 version!! A very nice example in great shape.

The second eagle you posted is a private purchase embroidered enlisted coastal artillery eagle. A nice example also. This pattern of eagle is seen in alot of different color variations. Predominately in coastal Arty and Kriegsmarine colors. I have had examples in early Heer colors also.

I hope this helps.

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Green View Post
        Greetings All,

As Glenn said "Both Original" Yes they are!

The first eagle you posted is a second pattern flatwire eagle but it is a post 1940 version!! A very nice example in great shape.

The second eagle you posted is a private purchase embroidered enlisted coastal artillery eagle. A nice example also. This pattern of eagle is seen in alot of different color variations. Predominately in coastal Arty and Kriegsmarine colors. I have had examples in early Heer colors also.

I hope this helps.

Fred

Fred is spot on....nice info he is passing out.

Richard

Comment

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the information. I have learnt so much in the last few weeks after posting a few eagles, and that is entirely down to the guys here who are willing to share their knowledge freely. It really is appreciated! I had only ever seen one example of the type of flatwire I posted, and that was on a dealer's website, with absolutely no information about the period when it was issued, etc. The same thing is true of that coastal artillerie eagle; I have never seen these eagles identified as 'private purchase', they simply appear with a price tag. Having some background knowledge not only makes it easier to spot the fakes, it also makes this a much more rewarding hobby to pursue.

Thanks again to all of you.

Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X