X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eichenbruch

Comment

Originally posted by napesica View Post
      Hello, No the photo I posted it not reversed, unless they made an unknown experimental STG44 that was left handed. Note sling and bolt on wrong side in the photo that you reversed.
      Also SS runes on left collar (barely visable) and plackett on front of Feldbluse is buttoned up on correct (man) side andnot reversed. The plackett is always the quickest way to see if a photo has been reversed. Thanks, M
      you are right, i didn't pay appropriate attention to the slung visible on this side, althought it is obvious.
      a nice pic indeed.
      derka
      Last edited by derka; 11-19-2011, 05:47 PM.

Comment

What Steiner's men really looked like

Hello , I should have made it clear when I posted the photo that it is a photo of myself. Thanks. M

Comment

naxos, what an excellent thread!

Both 'The Willing Flesh' and later 'Cross of Iron' are without doubt iconic war stories in their own right, and I am sure are firm favourites of many who frequent these boards.

To see the images of the corresponding fighting men on whom 'The Willing Flesh' was based, is a great way of bringing the content of a book I read almost 30 years ago to life.

Many thanks for putting these images up, I am sure they will be appreciated by everyone who is familiar with the book and film.

Regards Richard.
          Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post
            Eichenbruch

(Edelweiss)

Edelweiss:

Es war ein Edelweiss....

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by BergführerKiser View Post

Es war ein Edelweiss....

Patrick
              Interesting Patrick, looks convincing

... but why would Ludwig, who was never a GJ wear the Edelweiss instead of the Eichenbruch ?

Any ideas?

Ludwig Augenstein entered the Wehrmacht on October 9, 1941. Infanterie-Ersatz-Batl 109 at Forstner barracks in Karlsruhe.

Identity disc: -5537 - 1./Inf.Ers.Btl. 109.

On March 17, 1942 he was placed in the ranks of Feldersatzbataillon 101/3 at Ulm Söflingen. On May 08, 1942 with Marschbataillon 101/3 for Konstantinowka in the Ukraine, were he was assigned to 7./Jäg. Rgt. 229.
              Last edited by naxos; 11-20-2011, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Because the Edelweiss was much more appealing and prestigeous? Also, the Jeagereinheiten had somewhat a half-GJ status, so at the transitional stage of 1943 maybe it was possible for the soldiers to mess up a little with the insignia. Especially at the very front line. Just my guess

Comment

Interesting Patrick, looks convincing

... but why would Ludwig, who was never a GJ wear the Edelweiss instead of the Eichenbruch ?

Any ideas?

Servus Naxos,

Like I noted before, I have seen Jägers wearing the Edelweiss in other photos and reference books. My thoughts on this is that one, some Jägers received Gebirgsjäger training...ie Mountain Warefare School, or two, some Jägers were previously Gebirgsjägers and were transferred into Jäger Divisions. Maybe someone has better knowledge on this.

Horrido!

Patrick

Comment

I agree there were GJ in Jaeger units but I think it is also an eichenbruch, maybe bent from carrying the hat in a pocket.

Comment

Look at this pin

I am not familiar withthe word, Eichenbruch .
                      Is this pin one?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dan h View Post
                        I am not familiar withthe word, Eichenbruch .
                        Is this pin one?
                        An Eichenbruch is a freshly broken tip of an oak tree branch that has several (usually 3) leafs and acorn(s) on it. Traditionally, German game hunters (Jäger) would break an Eichenbruch off an oak tree and stick it to their hats.

In this sense your pin depicts an Eichenbruch but not from a WWII Jäger unit. IMO it is either a pre WWII paramilitary pin or a traditional Hunter pin.

Comment

What Steiner's men really looked like

Here is an original photo I think reflects how individual a Soldat may look , once at the Front for a while. Michael
                          Attached Files

Comment

Pictures from the fighting at the Kuban Bridgehead, May 1943

101. JD divisional history

Is that Zimmerit on the helm?

Comment

Originally posted by Napalm View Post
                              Is that Zimmerit on the helm?
                              No...just good old fashion mud.

Horrido!

Patrick

Comment

Great thread.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X