• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for all the encouragement

The back -
    Note the soil on the right elbow and left cuff

Comment

One thing I notice in the new picture is the rectangular shape of the staining around the wound area. That is about the same size and shape as a larger German field bandage.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
        One thing I notice in the new picture is the rectangular shape of the staining around the wound area. That is about the same size and shape as a larger German field bandage.
        quite possible

Comment

I'm still going through all the documents - almost all civilian.

More confirmation –

Born in 1916, he started his military service with 4./Kradsch.Btl.2 1938/39, in 1940 he is with 2./Kradsch.Btl.2 then in 1942 he was promoted to Lieutenant and transferred another unit .

I still haven't confirmed his last unit.

Last edited by naxos; 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post
            I'm still going through all the documents - almost all civilian.

More confirmation –

Born in 1916, he started his military service with 4./Kradsch.Btl.2 1938/39, in 1940 he is with 2./Kradsch.Btl.2 then in 1942 he was promoted to Lieutenant and transferred another unit .

I still haven't confirmed his last unit.
            I have now the service record of Lt Wahrheit. It explains a lot that was unclear to me and I have to correct some of the facts that I have had wrong.

For instance, I was told that he was wounded in 1942 near Stalingrad - that is incorrect. He received the wound on May 20, 1944 while serving as a Lieutenant with Pz.Gren.Rgt.108 near Jassy (Ukraine). (Pz.Gren.Rgt.108 belonged to the re-created 14. Panzer-Division, 6th Army - I can see that if one gets the year wrong how Stalingrad can come up). He being in a Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment in 1944 also explains the light green Waffenfarbe of the tabs and shoulder boards.

There are other facts that I have to clear still.

Here is his record.

Last edited by naxos; 11-15-2011, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Really Amazing Naxos.

Comment

Near miracle that this uniform survived when many complete pieces have been thrown in the trash. Wonderful research project....thanks for sharing.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
                  Near miracle that this uniform survived when many complete pieces have been thrown in the trash. Wonderful research project....thanks for sharing.

Richard
                  It's a near miracle that Heinrich survived, I think that is why he kept it.

It took me over a month to gather all the little tidbits that together tell the tunic's story.
                  Just think, all this would have been lost on eBay trough several auctions. The tunic was sold without a name and history, his dog-tag and ribbon bar in another sale and category, so were the non military documents of his teaching career.

Only through a good contact in Germany I was able to get the other items of Heinrich including his military record that arrived today in the mail.

If we take our hobby serious, we are the guardians of history.

Thank you, my friends, for your interest.

Last edited by naxos; 11-16-2011, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post

If we take our hobby serious, we are the guardians of history...

Well put & I'm glad there are guys like you out there !

Kurt

Comment

Thank you all so much for the encouraging replies!

Here are a few more pictures.

I do have more details on the man and a portrait picture of him in 1942; as soon as I have all the info together I will start a thread on him in the "Individual Soldier's History" forum.

On May 20th 1944, Leutnant Wahrheit suffered a gunshot wound to the back and hand-grenade fragments to his head and upper body, leaving him with a spinal injury and blindness in his left eye. On June 5, 1944 Lt. Warheit was awarded the Iron Cross 1st class and on July 13, 1944 he was awarded the WB in silver. However, after permanently loosing his left eye and 70% of his remaining eyesight, the WB was upgraded to Gold on August 9, 1944.

I loosely placed the insignia on the tunic to give you an impression how it appeared on the day Lt. Wahrheit was wounded.

Last edited by naxos; 01-22-2012, 06:38 PM.

Comment

This is one of the most interesting pieces I have seen since being a member of this forum. Congratulations!

Comment

Hi Naxos!

Truly special tunic with a cracking story with it.

Makes it alot more personal when you can put the soldat into the uniform.

Many thanks for sharing this with us

Jay

Comment

Thank you!

Looking closely - since there are blood stains on the tunic where the iron cross ribbon would be and these stains are not reflected on the ribbon. Wahrheit perhaps wore on the day he was wounded the other small ribbon bar (the one including the iron cross ribbon) and not the ribbon in the button-hole

The awards were pinned directly on the tunic without award loops (note the many pin-holes). The PAB was as well at one time pinned directly on the pocket but must have been torn off since the pocket is repaired there and award loops added. See picture.

Last edited by naxos; 01-22-2012, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Nice project, in sustained combat many times they removed their awards, the press photos etc. show everything being worn but many Vets I have talked to put their awards inside pockets etc.

One thing I have noted over the years of talking to families of soldiers who died in Russia etc. is that they almost all are remembered as having had that happen in "Stalingrad" regardless of when they died or where.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                                One thing I have noted over the years of talking to families of soldiers who died in Russia etc. is that they almost all are remembered as having had that happen in "Stalingrad" regardless of when they died or where.
                                Agree

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X