• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luft General's summer breast eagle

Looks fine to me. Thoughts?

Thanx, RC
    Attached Files

Don't like it, Rick. I would pass on that one.

J-

Comment

What bothers you Jason?

Comment

Hi Rick,

This just doesn't fit under the spectrum of general-quality eagles to me at all. I look at overall construction and form. In this case, certain parts of the eagle look off, including the tail section.

As you know, the standard for white summer uniforms was a pin-on eagle; but some soldiers did upgrade to nicer summer tunics. So for a general to get a bullion eagle to adorn his uniform, this one doesn't look close. You see all sorts of variation in quality and construction in officer rank bullion examples, but general rank examples are consistently of the highest quality, form and construction (there are exceptions, of course, but they are few).

That said, I see plenty of disagreement on bullion eagles, so perhaps some of my peers would disagree. But this is one I would stay away from for those reasons.

Hopefully that makes sense...sometimes it's difficult to put into words exactly what bothers you about a piece.

Best regards,

Jason

Comment

I don't know, I've always noted a great deal of individuality in hand embroidery.

The tails my blues below are all subtly different as is the execution overall.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Rick,

There's individuality, and then there's that pang in your gut that makes you walk away from an item for uneasy reasons. There are some consistencies and duplicate designs (they did hand thread over templates), but most exhibit at least subtle differences, if not marked differences.

That said, the one posted here is the least complex, and most "blocky," out of the additional grouping you posted. I still don't like it...sorry.

I think this would be more within the believable spectrum of design and quality were it an officer's example. But at the end of the day, you have to be happy with it, since you're the owner.

But it's still important to get a concensus for resale value, if you ever decide to part with it down the road. So let's see what others say. I may be the only tally in the negative column after all is said and done. Many are at the MAX, and probably won't have a chance to reply until this week.

Superb celleon example by the way...that one's a beauty.

Best regards,

Jason

Comment

Rick,

How accurate are the photos as far as the swastika/beak toning goes? The swastika and beak have an artificial metallic look to them....at least in these photos. How about the wool backing...is it dayglow?

Richard

Comment

Will have more data Monday, Richard. All I know at this point is a couple of different bullion wire types were used.

(I've peeked your interest haven't I Vlad?)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X