Unusual Breast Eagle insignia???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Breast Eagle insignia???

Is the Breast Eagle insignia on the pictured soldat's uniform unusual in its design?

The reason I ask is the eagle's head appears quite elevated above the top edge of the wings. Or perhaps, it just is the angle of the insignia at which the photo was taken. Here is a close up -

Here is an insignia I have in my collection where the eagle's head does not appear to by as high above the tops of the wings as in the photograph.

As I am working on a display of all the uniform items (some still to be acquired) with the photograph as the centerpiece, I wonder if the insignia I already have would pass as the one in the photo. Or, are the two insignia different and signify issuance to soldat's in different units/branches/etc.?

Please excuse the question if it naive/uneducated as I am a "newbie" to collecting WWII German militaria.

Thanks for the education.

Tim

Actually, while I am at it, I might as well also learn what rank insignia the soldat is wearing on his collar tabs and shoulders.

Tim

P.S. - Would anyone have a spare set of either for sale/trade? If so, please send me a PM or email me directly at tsellati@earthlink.net

Comment

This is an Infantrie-Gefreiter. The eagle is one, you cna find often on "Waffenröcken" i guess.
      Like this one:
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by madandi View Post
        This is an Infantrie-Gefreiter. The eagle is one, you cna find often on "Waffenröcken" i guess.
        Like this one:
        Ah, OK, he is an Infantry Lance Corporal and "Waffenröcken" is the tunic he is wearing. And, what is the unit and rank associated with the insignia I have in my collection?

Tim
        Last edited by tsellati; 09-10-2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

There are different designs for different tunic.
          Officers have handstichted bullion-eagels an all uniforms, normally
          All others have machinestichted or woven eagles on their fielduniforms and woven eagles in silver (like the one i have posted) on their walking out Uniforms.
          This can be a Waffenrock or a "Geschönte Feldbluse". Sorry, don´t know the term in english.
          But there is often found a mix with tunics and eagles.
          Eagles for NCO/EM Waffenrock are found on officer-fieldtunic. Hndstichted bullion-eagles for officers are found on NCO/EM Waffenrock and so on. It´s just a rule, not a law.
          And it doesn´t matter if the soldier was infantrie, artillerie and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by tsellati View Post
            Ah, OK, he is an Infantry Lance Corporal and "Waffenröcken" is the tunic he is wearing. And, what is the unit and rank associated with the insignia I have in my collection?

Tim
            Sorry, i don´t have read you comment correct.
            The tunic on the Foto seams to be a M36-fieldtunic with a silverwoven eagle.
            Not the rule but possible.
            Your eagle is a machinestiched eagle for NCO/EM and is a perfect match to the tunic on the foto.

Comment

Originally posted by madandi View Post
              Sorry, i don´t have read you comment correct.
              The tunic on the Foto seams to be a M36-fieldtunic with a silverwoven eagle.
              Not the rule but possible.
              Your eagle is a machinestiched eagle for NCO/EM and is a perfect match to the tunic on the foto.
              Ah, this is fabulous to learn. Thank you so much .

Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
              X