Officer Boards with cardboard backing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer Boards with cardboard backing

These Pionier Major boards have cardboard backing. I thought perhaps they are Reserve Officer boards and had the grey underlay removed - but there is no evidence they ever had a second Waffenfarbe.

I have seen one other set for an Infantrie Hauptmann with cardboard backing before.

Has anyone other examples to post?

I have many boards with cardboard bodies like this but not open like that. I would also think the reserve unterlagen was removed following regulations after the War started.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
      ... I would also think the reserve unterlagen was removed following regulations after the War started.
      Good explanation - since the boards were worn like this (with open cadboard bottom)

Comment

I have never seen them open bottomed like that, I suppose it would not show when in wear...but how in the heck were they worn since they are slip on boards?

Richard

Comment

There is a uniform colored thread at the bottom on the right board. I think they were sewn down to the tunic. I have seen this done before and also on wraps where the boards were sewn flat to prevent them from catching on hatches etc.

Comment

There is a uniform colored thread at the bottom on the right board. I think they were sewn down to the tunic.
            Right on the money. These are real nice, and to repeat the above, not sure I've seen the cardboard exposed like that before. Very cool example!

Comment

Do they have the metal supports? Here are some other examples of period cardboard-
              Attached Files

Comment

There is a uniform colored thread at the bottom on the right board. I think they were sewn down to the tunic. I have seen this done before and also on wraps where the boards were sewn flat to prevent them from catching on hatches etc.
                ... sewn down on the uniform would make sense.

Pi.Btl.19 was transferred in 1940 to 19. Panzer-Division and renamed Pz.Pi.Btl.19.

I'm really starting to like these boards now!

No, Johnny there are no metal wires in the boards.

Comment

Another Tunic

Here is a Panzer Tunic with cardboard showing on the undersides of the boards. I've always thought it strange until I saw this posting. The Tunic was a walkin at an antique show. A friend of mine bought it for me for about $50, several years ago. It's a little salty, but looks 100% correct to me.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very nice tunic!

... and what a steal!

Thanks for showing

Comment

I have an untouched artillery ornamented officers tunic that has sewn-in shoulderboards with the cardboard exposed. I think tailors made them like this on occasion, using the stocks of top braid they had on hand (and are frequently sold on ebay). They could adjust the shoulderboard length in this manner with ease.

They apparently would just stitch it to the proper branch color wool over a suitably stiff underboard. I would be comfortable with the insignia being discussed in terms of originality.

s/f Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X