Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

501 pz officer/60 pz gren mech "windhund" boards

Guys,

So some great boards have been offered to me lately and I know these are hard to find so I would like a few more eyes on these boards before I jump at them. They are not cheap but to hard to come by units. Love to hear your opinions. Matt
    Attached Files

again guys these have been offered to me and the 501 boards edge me out a bit. I don't know if its just artificial aging or if its legit. The 60 mech boards are darker than usual pz gren but I have seen gj boards used for pz gren and vice versa. Love to hear everyones thoughts and opinions and especially from the more learned members who have handled many boards. Matt
    Attached Files

Comment

What is the white stuff on the backs of the pins? It is not some sort of chemical damage to the wool felt is it? I see your point on the Panzer board and being concerned about the appearance. The other ones look like dress Jager boards to me.
      Last edited by Johnny R; 09-04-2011, 07:44 PM.

Comment

I have had these for ten years or so and have always sort of been curious if they are aged. I have seen maybe 5 or 6 sets for rare panzer units and they all look like this. Maybe I am just spooked.
        Attached Files

Comment

Johnny,

that just my concern. I believe the boards themselves are good but the white stuff is throwing me off, never seen this kind of oxidation or what not. Plus its on both set so boards. Both are not common boards with the same white stuff..... Possibly from piss poor storage? I don't want to talk myself into them but would love to own them if they are good boards with period added numbers. I bought the guys 200 mech Inf boards and these were offered to me a few days ago by the same seller.... Matt

Comment

There are some chemicals that are used to age metals for restoring antiques etc. they are basically diluted acids and would cause cloth to react etc. I would be wary.

Here at the backs of mine-
            Attached Files

Comment

The Panzer boards, although original, seem oddly aged.

The quality of the picture is poor as well and perhaps a high quality Epson scan would make them look better (or confirm suspicions).

It appears they have been hardly worn but badly stored.

Here are some examples to compare to;

1.) from a wet basement

2.) a heavily worn and sun-bleached board

3.) imprints of pip and number on a sun-bleached board

4.) imprints of pips and number on a dirty board
              Last edited by naxos; 09-04-2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

These boards look like Police officers to me, it is the right shade of green and the Police used them with the shiny braid....not the dull. I know there are many crossovers between the greens.

Here is a Po officers tab and board on two different Po panzer wraps.

Richard
                Attached Files

Comment

This gets us to another topic but related to this, are the officers boards for LW Jager Rgts also the shiny braid in this shade of green?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                    This gets us to another topic but related to this, are the officers boards for LW Jager Rgts also the shiny braid in this shade of green?
                    Good question!

Richard

Comment

"resedagrun" was an officially designated wartime colour to be instituted initially for members of Rifle Regiments in 1941.

There are four pre-war / wartime greens used on waffenfarbe ( weisegrun, resedagrun, hellgrun & dunkelgrun ) They must be viewed in the context of the implementation time-line, and the supply problems that invariably produced an overlay of service use during the transition periods.

Now as for shinny verse matt being LW or WH ? This seems to be the popular belief but is it actually based on an official order from the time or just collector folklore over the years since the war ended ???

Chris

Comment

Richard,

you bring up a good point about the police boards for the pz grn boards. Nice looking wraps by the way, always loved that green on black.

The boards do look like they were stored in a wet place, the ones that were posted did show the same whiteish colored build up on the bottom. I am weary for 290 euros though... I want to be certain they are legit. Matt

Comment

Hi Matt

Unless the boards have wear and shadows like the ones Naxos has posted i would be weary. Also the seller has contacted me and guaratees these are all original. They may well be of all original parts including the cyphers but am doubtful the cyphers have been on them for almost 70 years...

Comment

I have this pair of 509 boards...they show age and use....
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X