Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beat up tunics?

Hi all,

I have been looking all over for a satly beat up german tunic but it seems that all I see are mint ones or ones used for walking out purposes. Do beat up tunics really still exist as much as the ones that are mint or are they much harder to find? If they do exist where are the best places to go for them? Are they dealers or from private owners?

Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by panzer224 View Post
    Hi all,

I have been looking all over for a satly beat up german tunic but it seems that all I see are mint ones or ones used for walking out purposes. Do beat up tunics really still exist as much as the ones that are mint or are they much harder to find? If they do exist where are the best places to go for them? Are they dealers or from private owners?

Any help would be appreciated.
    They are hard to find and were mostly stipped of insignia after the war. The reason for that is that german soldiers went into POW cages wearing their combat tunics and because of the economical hardships of postwar germany, tunics were worn as civilian work clothes. The combat tunics also did not have the "collectibility" that other smaller and better conditioned items had. Jacques

Comment

There are plenty of them around here. Do a search for "salty", "moth eaten" on WAF, and you'll see them. I personnally prefer them than the mint or unworn ones.

Comment

Here you go:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=517817

Comment

Worn combat tunics are difficult to find for all of the reasons Jacques already mentioned. They are out there but not as common as mint uniforms taken from factories or used for walking-out purposes. I've picked up some on the E-Stand. European dealers handle this sort of material also, from time to time.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for some of the quick replies. It appears for dealers that one of the best for salty tunics seems to be Timetraveler Militaria. I did thoroughly enjoy the thread on battle tunic posted earlier as well. I do also tend to notice that European dealers are the best source as well for these items.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for some of the quick replies. It appears for dealers that one of the best for salty tunics seems to be Timetraveler Militaria. I did thoroughly enjoy the thread on battle tunic posted earlier as well. I do also tend to notice that European dealers are the best source as well for these items.
              yes they are if you do not mind replaced insignia
              Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
              teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Hi all,

They sold a large uniform collection of a former WA member who is now decreased. He also appreciated heavily used tunics and had a large number of them.

When looking for these, it is important to note many "salty" tunics also were subjected to poor storage conditions and as noted worn for work etc. after the War and their condition/damage has nothing to do with Wartime use. I saw Germans wearing wartime clothing as late as the 1980s working on farms etc.

Comment

It is also my opinion that in EU you will find more tunics which have been subjected to improper storage and overall neglect for the past 65 years. This, like stated earlier, has nothing to do with combat field wear.

Comment

Originally posted by DKNYC71 View Post
                    ... you will find more tunics which have been subjected to improper storage and overall neglect for the past 65 years. This, like stated earlier, has nothing to do with combat field wear.
                    Agreed. You have to be very careful you're getting a Tunic with field use, not attic use.

Comment

Originally posted by Kengir View Post
                      Agreed. You have to be very careful you're getting a Tunic with field use, not attic use.
                      That and use from harvesting potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                        That and use from harvesting potatoes.
                        technically.... you harvest potatoes from a field... Don't you?

Comment

If the tunic has an original factory applied breast or sleeve eagle, you can feel confident it was not subjected to post-war wear as a work jacket. It is very easy to tell the difference between a tunic with the wool nap worn away from honest wear and use and period stains and mendings, and a barely worn jacket ravaged by rodents, insects, heat, etc. I maintain that it is not difficult for an experienced collector to determine if a machine sewn eagle is the factory application or was reapplied at some other time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X