No announcement yet.

Help identifying a Wehrmacht Generalmajor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different German and Austrian awards used different types of crossed swords and devices
    Attached Files

Comment

Very lovely tunic even without the ribbon bar. And the visor too!!! What a nice display.

Comment

The ribbon bar does NOT go with the tunic. The ribbon bar does not have any longer service awards on it. There is no way a TR general did not have at least 4 years of service time.
        Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
          Different German and Austrian awards used different types of crossed swords and devices
          Actually this seems more to underline my point than to disprove it. Yes of course various types of swords were used on ribbon bars but usually the same swords were put on a ribbon bar that had various ribbons on it with swords. As is shown by the only one in your photo that has multiple ribbons with swords on the same ribbon bar. The reason for this is that ribbon bar makers use(d) their own swords to put on the ribbons. Ribbon bar makers seldom use the ribbons that came/come with the award itself - as these are single items and can not be put on a bar (this is still current practice when constructing a medal bar).

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
            Actually this seems more to underline my point than to disprove it. Yes of course various types of swords were used on ribbon bars but usually the same swords were put on a ribbon bar that had various ribbons on it with swords. As is shown by the only one in your photo that has multiple ribbons with swords on the same ribbon bar. The reason for this is that ribbon bar makers use(d) their own swords to put on the ribbons. Ribbon bar makers seldom use the ribbons that came/come with the award itself - as these are single items and can not be put on a bar (this is still current practice when constructing a medal bar).
            Once again you are mistaken, and this catalogue is merely drawn up as an aesthetically pleasing diagram.

Ribbon bars were usually purchased by tailors shops and can be broken down into the purchase ledger of:

Brackets/clips
            Ribbons
            Miniature Devices (Eagles and medals and swords etc).

The tailor would be the one who would "build" the bar, based on the requirements of his client. To specifications set by the RZM.

The usage of swords on ribbon bars could be down to the discretion of the client, the tailor or his actual shop stock levels...

There are many ribbon bars out there which do not always use the same swords throughout the length of a bar, and it would be ignorant to assume that a ribbon bar that does use a variety of swords, is in any way questionable in it's authenticity.

Comment

The catalog also shows the different types of swords used at this link you can see the differences of the sword devices with the ribbons-

http://www.medals.pl/de/de3.htm

There also are slight manufacture variations-

And from our own lovely website-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/rela...ery/Swords.htm

I will add this as well- you can see original bars using all the same devices and other using several types and finishes. As a General rule, the Austrian/Hungarian awards usually use the low swords and the German awards the larger pairings.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/related/ribbons/ww2.htm
              Last edited by Johnny R; 10-08-2011, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Please be so kind as to note the original wording:

"the ribbon bar itself could be questioned as the swords on it are three different types and usually a ribbonbar maker would make sure that all the swords used were of the same type as this looks a lot better."

This is stated as an opinion and as a sort of question - it could be questioned - I have never stated that the bar itself is no good.

I believe I can add nothing more to this discussion. The most important point concerning the bar was whether or not the bar goes with the tunic and I believe all of us agree that it does not.

Comment

The other issue also is that they did not always wear all of their awards on a bar for daily use etc. Some feldspanges will only have combat/War service awards etc. so it is hard to know who wore what. That does not mean that the bar is his but it would be possible.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X